Skip to main content

SWB: Favorties and not so Favorite things



Favorite things: Music as prayer. Getting Relevant or Real Simple Magazine in the mail and reading it cover to cover in one sitting after skimming it first back to front. Breaking the plastic of a new Cd. Listening to the birds sing at sun rise. The smell of wood dust and just washed sheets. Big sunglasses.


Hearing my kids say "Mom..." River rocks. Beauty Salons. Going for walks. Snail mail from friends. Writing Songs. Being Me. Loving You.

Not so favorite: Never catching up with housework, homework and home repairs. Putting laundry away. Not having laundry away. Filing papers. Not having papers put away. Scales...mmm I know there are more, but this is not easy!

It's funny to me that I am more than comfortable listing my favorite things about life but the things I dislike are challenging to even think about. It is common for me to have an emotional reaction to whatever I'm pondering upon. The things I love cause me to feel loved, understood, expressive and etc..., while the things I don't like make me feel pressure of getting it all done, needing to improve myself or something around me or just needing to put the fun aside for a long while.

It is interesting that in life we often try to place ourselves into boxes of good and bad/ favorites or not favorites/ ups and downs/ joys and concerns. We are so fickle in our basic construction and composition. Thankfully, God is not fickle. God constant, consistent and sound.

All of this pondering concerning personality and preference fits along very well with Psalm 139:

"
Psalm 139
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Footnotes:

  1. Psalm 139:8 Hebrew Sheol
  2. Psalm 139:17 Or concerning
There is great comfort in knowing that God knows everything about me and loves me still. He knows where I'm going, what I'm feeling, what I like and what I don't. God "hems me in" - keeps me together when everything else is tearing me apart. Thank you God for helping me see that in the clarity of your vision: You have laid your hand upon me.
You know me.
Your works are wonderful.

Dear Lord:
In this week together,
"See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Help me to walk in Your way knowing that you love me as I am. In my weakness and humanity... You are here.

Comments

Terri B. said…
Hey Lamont! I'm making the rounds and catching up on reading blogs. I tend to do this in batches every so often since other aspects of life tend to jump in front of blogging. Anyway, you have so much more in this post that I could focus on, but what caught my attention (trivial person that I am) is that you browse your magazines back to front before reading them. My husband is always laughing at me because I do that. He can't figure out why I'm going backwards. Ha! I knew I wasn't the only one.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness