Skip to main content

Sleeping with bread Monday


I felt most alive this week when:
I asked for some help. Over the past several months I've been slowly recording some of my songs and with the help of my friends James(on drums) and Dave (producing/bass) we completed the recording and production process this week. Somehow along the way, I was totally overwhelmed with the layout and artwork for the album. I'd had a particular title in mind for the CD, which led me to no picture of what I'd like the inserts and disk to look like - so I asked for help.



Heather and Ian started working out some general ideas in photo shop this Saturday and by early afternoon, Ian was inspired and sent Heather and I out on a photo shoot for some more material. We took lots of photos, not letting the rain dampen our creative enthusiasm , and by evening we had over 50 shots for Ian to look through. It was good to get out of the house, hand over this task that just seemed too much for me to deal with, and involve some family and friends in this project. I'm so proud of what Ian and Heather came up with - I can't wait to share it - but I'll hold off and not spoil the surprise for when the CD's come back from printing. I felt most alive this week, when I asked for some help with some tasks that seemed too much - and got out and lived life and played a bit.



But, I felt the most challenged this week when...
I pushed beyond my current level as a guitar player and ended up feeling totally overwhelmed. I'm not diminishing how far I've come with my guitar. It's all a work in progress. Somehow though, when I see how well some folks play I can't help but think - man why don't I know that yet? This isn't sour grapes, its more like - why isn't this easier for me? I know - life isn't' easy, but wow some people just have the nack for some things. Then there are those who have to work a little harder at some things. I suppose it's like this - singing for me is like art or English, its natural - I don't really think about it. Learning new chords and theory on guitar is like math - challenging and requires lots of practice and pink erasers. What is so funny is how the singing and my guitar are married together.



Last week in my bread post I mentioned the terms tob and ra and that they are representative of life being both full of pleasure (singing) and full of pain (learning new chords - "Ouch" my fingers are still sore as I type. Here's to new callouses!)

It may seem a shallow comparison tob and ra to singing and guitar playing, but it is yet another example that even the things we love to do, the work we feel called to, or the relationships we strive to grow in all have tob and ra in them.

Earlier this morning, I visited one of my favorite prayer sites, Sacred Space. The scripture of the day was:

Luke 2:33-35

And the child's father and mother were amazed at what was being said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, "This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed--and a sword will pierce your own soul too."


I recall the blessing of time with my family helping me on my project this weekend as well as the challenge of pushing my musical knowledge and aptitude and realize how much I have to learn; and I pause knowing that blessing and struggle are always interconnected. Mary was joyous as Jesus was blessed, but sorrow was also a part of the blessing. Why would I expect my life to be any different?

Letting go enables others to become a part of something bigger than you ever imagined. Hanging in there teaches you some new things - even when it's difficult - you need to keep trying. It's seems the most important thing to know is when you need to let go, ask for help, or hang right in there.

Here's to the wisdom of bread. Get baking.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am glad that you asked for help, Tara, and I look forward to seeing the result!

I think you are right that some people have a knack for certain things. I know, though, that my husband, who definitely has that guitar knack, also talks about how much he practiced as he was learning. I think that part of your growth will come as you continue to work on it and use it, challenging yourself to grow.

Hang in there!
Tara Lamont said…
Thanks Mary Lue!
I'll keep keeping on!
Tara
Mel said…
Undoubtedly one of the more difficult things for me to do--ask for help.

*sigh*
Perhaps it's why the Big Guy keeps making arrangements for me to practice?

Keep on keeping on!
Claire said…
:-)


Hurrah for the strength to ask for help!

Cxx

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn