Skip to main content

SWB Host Post: Giddy dinners, broken dish washers, alternative Christmas trees, and a new-old book


Image found at Life.

The Tate Unveils The Alternative Christmas Tree

LONDON - DECEMBER 3: A woman looks at Tate Britain's Christmas tree dressed by sculptor Richard Wentworth on December 3, 2004 in London, England. The traditional Norwegian Spruce tree is decorated with broken halves of plates and strings of dimmed domestic light bulbs also text panels on the base of the tree describe the histories of the tree's four elements: the light bulb, the plate, the Christmas tree and the plinth.


There is so much preparation, anticipation and excitement in the days just before Christmas. Even adults become giddy with moments of child-like joy and frivolity, at least I know I do. I feel its effects in the holiday songs I find myself humming, in the flutter of joy in my heart, and in the smile plastered across my face as I sat down to share Christmas Eve dinner with this years entourage. I had been touched and filled with a healthy dose of the Christmas spirit. The faces around my table may change and grow older, but the feeling of that night is reliably giddy and contentedly silly. For me, it's moments like this that I feel very, very alive.

One of my favorite gifts receive this holiday season was a previously unreleased, but first novel of one of my all time favorite authors, Madeline L'Engle; it's called "The Joys of Love. This book was Ms. L'Engle's first novel, but went unreleased until 2008 by the prompting of her granddaughters. Up to this publication, her grand daughters were the only ones that had read this coming-of-age, placed in 1946 summer theater, about a young girl and her first loves. It's a lovely book that I've just begun, but the quote that follows speaks to the contrast of our Monday examen. Take a moment to read this short excerpt as you ponder the question,
"Where this week did I feel the least and the most alive?"

"I've always thought about the theater like a Christmas tree, all shining and bright with beautiful ornaments. But now it seems like a Christmas tree with the tinsel all tarnished and the colored balls all fallen off and broken. That's a corny way of saying it, but you know what I mean."
"Sure, I know what you mean, Liz. And it's both ways...Some of the ornaments fall and break and some stays shining and beautiful like the nights before Christmas. Nothing's ever all one way. You know that. It's all mixed up and you've got to find the part that's right for you."
Excerpt from "The Joys of Love, by Madeline L'Engle



There are times all we see and feel is shimmer and light, and times that all we experience comes across as shabby and worn-out. Just like my Christmas Eve dinner, in addition to my giddy mood and happiness there were dishes to do as the dishwasher decided to go on the fritz, and thankfully guests that chipped in on the clean up. Truth is we have the light and the shabby mixed together and that is what makes our lives experiences authentic and sincere.

What was your experience this week of Christmas? What was whole and what was broken?

Maybe in sharing our bread with each other we can find beauty even in the broken parts, just like the Tate tree,and Madeline's finally published first-novel.

Comments

Mel said…
The trick for me is in just seeing what IS--not letting the shabby overpower the shining...

It's all a part of the beauty of living, eh?

Beautifully shared bread, as always, ma'am.

Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness