Skip to main content

Holy Conversations: People on spiritual pilgrimage


“ That’s our problem. We just don’t talk about the gospel. If we don’t have that kind of conversation in church, where can we have it?”
( Richard Peace)


Welcome to week one of our discussion on the book Holy Conversations. As the quote above suggests, Richard Peace (the author) noticed a great absence of "Christian witness" within church and decided to do a study that eventually produced the text that we are currently discussing.

Peace states that "Evangelism is a community activity - not a isolated process." If that is the case,what are some ways you have invited, involved, and drawn people to join in your Church community?


If you have been on the receiving end of these kinds of invitations, how were you approached and invited to become a part of a church community?

Robert C. Fuller says this:
A large number of Americans identify themselves as “spiritual but not religious.” It is likely that perhaps one in every five persons (roughly half of all the unchurched) could describe themselves in this way. This phrase probably means different things to different people. The confusion stems from the fact that the words “spiritual” and
“religious” are really synonyms. Both connote belief in a Higher Power of some kind. Both also imply a desire to connect, or enter into a more intense relationship, with this Higher Power. And, finally, both connote interest in rituals, practices, and daily moral behaviors that foster such a connection or relationship.

“There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every (person) which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus”
Blaise Pascal


The good news is that more than ever before, people seem to have a deep desire to talk about God, Angels and things of spiritual significance. So how are we as individual Christians and churches getting involved in this conversation with others?

One challenge in getting involved with such interaction is to personally becoming more comfortable with talking about and listening to others in sharing our stories of faith.

There is an additional challenge when comparing those who connected interest in private spirituality with membership in a public religious group, the "spiritual, but not religious" group was

" ...less likely to evaluate religiousness positively, less likely to engage in traditional forms of worship such as church attendance and prayer, less likely to engage in group experiences related to spiritual growth, more likely to be agnostic, more likely to characterize religiousness and spirituality as different and non-overlapping concepts, more likely to hold nontraditional beliefs, and more likely to have had mystical experiences. Those who see themselves as "spiritual, but not religious. These individuals reject traditional organized religion as the sole-or even the most valuable-means of furthering their spiritual growth. Many have had negative experiences with churches or church leaders. For example, they may have perceived
church leaders as more concerned with building an organization than promoting spirituality, as hypocritical, or as narrow-minded. Some may have experienced various forms of emotional or even sexual abuse."

Therefore, only in authentic, respectful, safe, and established relationships can conversations of faith take place.

So why holy conversations?

People want to talk about God and we need to be a part of that conversation. But we need to have something of substance to contribute to the conversation. We need to resist the habit of “coming across with pious platitudes or canned formulas.”

Christians can “ ...come off as we are trying to sell a product (Jesus) , not ruminating on God. We have an agenda (that they get converted), so we don’t always come across as genuine or fully honest in our conversation.”

“Holy conversation is all about engaging others within the church as well as those beyond the circle of our church. This is why the concept of a “conversation partner” (someone outside of your study group.) is central to the series. Only as we talk through what we are learning with those no yet committed to the gospel do we understand the gospel.”

So as we begin this Holy Conversation, would you be willing to pray to be more open to God about the new "conversation partner" he may be placing or already placed in your life? Some may know who they would like to share this conversation with, while this may seem outlandish or difficult to consider let alone carry out. But at this point, all that is asked is that you begin to pray for that new conversation partner to become more apparent and be willing to be open to the opportunities that present themselves.

Where can holy conversations take place?

The Christian Community:
Church: Joys and Concerns (Prayer time), Small groups.
Fellowship Dinners: Sit with someone new!
Special events: Wellspring Workshops, Community Picnic,
Concerts... (find someone to tell your story
too!
Daily Life: Work, home, school… use your imagination!

Holy Conversations can become a part of daily life with a
little practice.

How holy conversations?

1. In order for meaningful conversations to flourish we need to be
good conversation partners.

2. Meaningful conversation deals with issues of consequence.

3. Meaningful conversation is open-ended. Doesn’t have to issue
a winner and a loser.

4. Meaningful conversation deepens friendship; it doesn’t drive
people apart.

5. Meaningful conversation changes all people involved in the
discussion.

6. In the end, holy conversation is vigorous, ongoing, goodhearted,
Conversation around the whole topic of God and how to bring God
into our lives in a life-changing way.

Holy Conversations is a 12 week small group training.
(this can be adjusted)

Small group structure to allow for discussion and interaction.

Story is very important!

Each session will cover:
A concept (study)
Practice (participation)
Book review at home (journal process/online discussion)
Pray for ways to engage a new Conversation Partner.

This group can be used inside and outside of your church
community. A good place to start is where you are!

We are all on a spiritual journey, so...
Tell a brief story about when God first came alive to you.
Reflect on the stories shared or journaled in your small group.

How did the stories help you make sense out of life?
What stories have you heard that helped you know
That God is alive and active in our lives?

*The stories don’t have to be dramatic, but don’t forget the dramatic ones if you have them.
* Remember stories have a beginning, middle and end.
* Be honest and tell you story like it is!

For our next meeting, please have looked at these notes and focused your journal comments on the "God story" question explained above. Please either write this story in a journal, on the facebook discussion page, your blog or on your own computer.

Thank you for participating in Holy Conversations. I hope it is an great time of sharing and growth for all involved.

Thanks to Dr. Richard Peace for his support and interaction with us on this leg of Holy Conversations.

Comments

Mel said…
they may see church leaders as more concerned with building an organization than promoting spirituality

Unfortunately, that's been my experience more than once. I remain openminded to the possibility that I got a bad deal and that there's a different experience to be had.

I gotta tell ya, I was eagerly reading.
And found myself becoming a bit defensive.....which is an indicator to me that I need to inventory for some fear/resentment that's lurking.
Which, by the way, I will inventory.

When I read it as 'conversion partners' instead of 'converSATION partners' that oughta tell me something, huh?
Tara Lamont said…
I too have experienced the primary interest in "church leaders as more concerned with building an organization than promoting spirituality..."

This process of sharing how we have treated and been treated in the "church" does have the potential of bringing strong feelings to the surface for many! As a church worker for many years, I desire to more than ever, check my own motives and be sincere about where I am as well. If love is not present in these relationships - what am I doing wrong?

So many times the conversation concerning faith can shift to become only focused on conversion - like you saw on first reading.

I feel conversation is a good tool for all wrestling with the questions and story of faith. I'd love to hear your "God" story too! I'll be wrestling right along this whole process I think.
Mel said…
I think it's a great process with great potential. Openmindedness gets threatened by my defensiveness--and I struggle with trusting the motives. There's a few I trust....not surprisingly, that's based on my relationship with the and trusting that first and foremost. I don't doubt WPIML whom I regularly engage in 'faith' conversations with. He's more interested in helping me develop my relationship with my Maker than he is on where I sit on Saturday/Sunday--would he welcome me in his place of worship, yes....and he has without any expectation past that moment in time.

Definitely need to do that inventory. LOL Even talking it here I have that niggling defensive mode going on.

I'm not sure where I'm at with it all.
And at times when I don't know--inventory and pause, pause, pause!

:-X

<-- Mel with duct tape over mouth while she pauses and readies herself for that inventory!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness