Skip to main content

Be the change you want to see in the world


First things first, we (local youth and adults who attended the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering) would like to thank our home churches and community for the financial and prayer support that helped get us to and carried us throughout our trip to New Orleans from July 18-23.

For five fast-paced days we were at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America's Youth Gathering in New Orleans, LA. During our time there, we practiced peacemaking, justice and christian discipleship. We we challenged by the human struggles still being dealt with by the people of New Orleans, were excited to hear church and world leaders like Bishop HansonPastor Nadia Bolz-Weber and Shane Claiborne speak and dance
and sing with the many amazing musicians that performed at the Super Dome. In the Convention Center we
we challenged to seek out ways to peace in our communities, schools, families and churches by learning more 
ways to serve others. We shared wonderful meals and southern hospitality together, walked many miles in the 
Louisiana rain, sun and heat, and learned how to navigate the trolley system when our feet needed a rest. On our service day, we learned more about the long-lasting effects of slavery and were asked to use our cultural and economic privileges to help those who have less power.

The trip was a whirlwind of activity that was taken in by our local CALY group: Chautauqua Area Lutheran Youth.
Our group included 16 people from five different Lutheran Churches in our county: Bethel, Immanuel, Holy Trinity,
St. Timothy and First Lutheran. These are the people in our group that witnessed the sights, sounds, and story of 
New Orleans and the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering: Julie Bihler, Darcy Whitney, Ian Eastman, Tara Eastman, T.J. Bihler, Bradley Bihler, Nathan Saar, Sophie White, Emily Whitney, Kirsten Magnuson, Emily Magnuson, Caylee Shelters, Nigel Eastman, Jeremy Hatfield, Sean Kilmartin and Danielle Guichard.

The stories from this experience are just starting to settle. Please ask about how we saw Jesus during this trip -
we'd love to tell you all about it!

A song we learned in worship this last week went like this, "I want my life, to make a difference. I want my life 
to make a change." May the words of this song, our experience in New Orleans and our faith in God help us to 
make a difference in our lifetime. May theses things help us to remember God's purpose  and call to serve others. Help us to be the change we want and need to see - everywhere we go.

PS. The gathering this year was a group of 38,000 Lutheran youth and adult leaders. In 2015, it's been announced that the National Youth Gathering will be held in Detroit, Michigan. We cant' wait to see all 38,000 of you again in Rock City!

Comments

Rick MG said…
I give thanks you guys were there! Thanks for helping to make the Gathering what it was!!! I pray that we may be able to continue the energy and Spirit we all experienced there here at home in the form of ministry and helping our neighbor.
Sheri, RN said…
I love New Orleans! Glad you had such an amazing and inspiring trip there. :)

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness