Skip to main content

Vicar mail?

The last time I had a change in my name was my wedding 21 years ago. This time around there is a change to the prefix before my name - that change is "Vicar”.

A "Vicar" according to the ELCA  (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) is a seminarian who is assigned to a congregation as an intern for one year. This typically involves the student working with a senior pastor and a committee of the church to support the development of the seminarian.

Last Sunday, a Service of Beginning took place at First Lutheran Church to mark the beginning of my year long internship. It's been a whirlwind since last April, when I was approved by my Candidacy Committee to pursue Seminary and the role of Minister of Word and Sacrament. There is a great deal of learning still ahead, but I'm taking a moment to pause and let this change, this prefix, to soak in. Last year at this time, I was looking forward to the hope that "someday" I'd attend seminary and begin the road towards ordained ministry that I have felt called to for over 20 years. 



All those years ago, I'd never imagine the word "Vicar" connected to my name. This week though, I've received two pieces of mail that have shown me, in black and white, that a change is taking place. 

The card I received has this quote printed on it, 
" To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but dream. Not only plan, but also believe. 
- Anatole France

Last Sunday, I was asked the question if I was ready to serve God and the Church in the role of an intern/vicar and my response was, "I am, and I ask God to help me." Change sometimes feels like it comes so slow, and others are hard to keep up with, but with the help of God our lives can become something we thought we'd never see in black and white.

This is the prayer that was said to me this last Sunday, may it be an encouragement to you as you serve God and others in the place you have been called. 

"May God go before you to show you the way;
Be behind you to encourage and inspire you;
Be beside you as your Faithful Friend;
Be above you to watch over you;
Be within you to give you peace;
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and
of the Holy Spirit, Amen"

Go in Peace...

Comments

Mel said…
What a lovely prayer...and what a gift to be able to DO what it is that you do. You touch lives, name change or not. And that, dearheart--a HUGE gift.
Tara Lamont said…
Thank you Mel - AS DOES YOURS.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness