Skip to main content

Bouncing anxiety



On my recent travels to Wartburg seminary I was required to take a week away to study two classes: Hebrew Bible 2 and Church as Community. During the five days of classes, it was necessary to stay focused, listen and learn as much as possible in the intensive week. Sitting still is not always my strongest suit. If it gives you some perspective, my parents dubbed me as “Tigger” before I was two years old. However, this time at seminary gave me time to wrestle with the challenge to listen more and worry less.


Image found at: how to get past a bouncer

The lesson this week focuses on two sisters that give a good example of the contrast between listening and worry. Upon Jesus arrival at their home, he is welcomed by Martha and is ushered in. Martha disappears from her company to make preparations for them. Mary immediately takes a place sitting at Jesus feet and listens alongside of the men, which was not the custom of the day, to hear Jesus teaching. As time passes, Martha comes to Jesus asking him to tell her sister to help her with the work. The decision that Mary makes to sit and listen to Jesus is a challenge to social norms and becomes a point of conflict between the sisters as well. 


Some may expect Jesus to tell Mary to go help her sister with the work. Some may think that Martha should not complain about her sister. When hearing this lesson you can consider who you associate with more: Martha or Mary? The challenge of this conflict between Martha and Mary could take us all morning to unravel, but in one statement Jesus cuts to the core of the problem: Worry and distraction.


Jesus responds, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


In a short reply, Jesus clarifies that Martha’s problem has no connection to Mary’s actions. Martha’s distraction and worry belong to her alone. Because of her worry, Martha is isolated and pouring herself into her work – but the work was not the real distraction – the anxiety was. Martha’s worry and anxiety is the real thing keeping her from being with the disciples and listening to Jesus’ teaching.


When Jesus speaks to Martha, he is calling her away from her anxiety and worry, and reminds her that the “duty of the love of God and obedience to God’s Word take precedence over all other concerns.” It’s so easy to become distracted from God. There is what seems to be a mountain of things to worry about in life: work, finances, home, health, friends and family.


The truth of the matter is that all of us are part Mary and Martha. We have moments of focus on God and we have times of distraction or anxiety. In our humanity, it is impossible to overcome anxiety and worry over the many things that complicate life. In the midst of this struggle we attempt to plan, work and decipher a means of happiness – a plan. All this striving can lead to feelings of longing for more in life. A telephone call with the answer you've been dying to hear, and we anxiously wait for that ship to come in that seems to hold all our answers. But the answer that we truly need – is that one thing that Mary found sitting at Jesus feet. Joan Chittister say's this about recognizing our deep need for God,


 "The truth is that it is pain and need and vulnerability that lead us directly to God. We become a prayer. We throw ourselves on the heart of God. We look for the balm that does not exist in this world as we know it. Then we trust our lives to our only salvation - the love and mercy of God."


We are both Mary and Martha. While we long for the love and mercy of God, we anxiously seek other things to calm our fears. Sometimes we focus our life on God, but worry and anxiety can work their way between us and God.  We are in need of God presence. But becoming still and listening can be difficult. But Jesus calls to each one of us, just like he spoke to Martha. Jesus is calling each of us into God’s family – just as he called Martha, Mary and his disciples. 
God is there to help us in all circumstances and to live joyfully in the knowledge that we are truly, fully and wholly beloved. There is no need to anxiously wait for our ship to come in. Help us to walk from anxiety and respond to the invitation to sit a listen at Jesus feet – like Mary and Martha – and choose the one thing that will never be taken from us – God’s forgiveness, love and mercy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness