Skip to main content

Delight your heart...

In the fall of 2010 I was introduced to TED talks.  I watched an eighteen minute talk by researcher and storyteller - Brene’ Brown. (brenebrown.com). If you haven't seen a TED talks they have become an international phenomenon,  where people from various and unlimited backgrounds share short talks that are: “Ideas worth sharing”. (For more information on TED talks – look online here: www.TED.com)



Brene’ Brown captured my attention in her short talk when she talked about the difference between divided living in contrast with “whole-hearted” living. Through her extensive research, Brene’ discovered an essential ingredient to “whole-hearted” living – vulnerability.


She claims that vulnerability is an important key to living out lives in the place of wholeheartedness. The more I listened to her words, the louder my own heart pounded. The words I heard were making something deep inside me sit up and take notice. 



Once my perspective on vulnerability shifted, I began to see how vulnerability allows a person to be sincere and honest about whom they are as well as who they aren’t. Vulnerability, frees people from attempts to be perfect - because we aren’t no matter how hard we try. This freedom from perfection and living in vulnerability are necessary steps (according to Ms. Brown) to living a whole-hearted life.

The more I consider it, living a whole-hearted life looks like living in a way that a person gains greater understanding of who they are as well as what delights their heart in what they do every day.


Perhaps whole-hearted living could lead to experiencing greater joy, peace, and contentment? What do you think?

Psalm 37:4 is a scripture about “whole hearted” living. Sometimes its been read and understood to mean: …”Obey God and you will get what you want.”

But what it actually says is this… “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

A person that delights in the Lord is one that understands they are not perfect – but a forgiven child of God. A person that delights in the Lord, is someone freed to live life in a “whole-hearted” way – trusting God in good and bad times.

Living “whole-heartedly” and “delighting in the Lord” call us to new places and unfamiliar ways of being and living, but these are ways of living that are truly free. Living “whole-heartedly” might not be comfortable, but it’s a challenge that allows all of us to live  - all parts of life.

Years ago, I had no idea of how Ms. Brown’s first talk about “whole-hearted” living would stick with me. As I learn more how vulnerability helps make space for growth, development, experimenting and change - I'm also challenged to take uncomfortable AND more whole-hearted steps in life.

Do you think that daring to live a more vulnerable life sounds like an exciting and whole-hearted “idea” worth sharing? 


I do too. 




True Sisterhood will be reading and meeting to discuss the book “Daring Greatly” by Brene’ Brown starting Thursday February 5th. The group meets at First House at 116 Chandler Street from 6:30 to 8pm for a 6 week book study. Please contact Tara for more book or group information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes things are just too small

Sweet Dreams by David Whyte from 'The House of Belonging' When your eyes are tired the world is tired also. When your vision has gone no part of the world can find you. Time to go into the dark where the night has eyes to recognize its own. There you can be sure you are not beyond love. The dark will be your womb tonight. The night will give you a horizon further than you can see. You must learn one thing. The world was made to be free in. Give up all other worlds except the one to which you belong. Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet confinement of your aloneness to learn anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you. The slumber of winter has transitioned into spring. The season of lent's wilderness journey has carried us to a time of resurrection, joy and new life. This poem by David Whyte speaks about transition and change. According to the poet's perspective, a time of rest or dreaming can lead to an opportunity for growth, developme...

FCE - Dog stroke in spine

Kahlúa is our 15 year old dog that we adopted from the Humane Society when she was four. She joined our family and has been with us for eleven years so far. This morning we found her laying on the carpet in the dining room and was unable to get up and go outside. After letting her rest for a few hours, I gave her some bread to eat and she got up. She was wobbly so I scooped her up and took her outside to go to the bathroom. She managed to remain standing for a few minutes, but was back down quickly. Her back legs did not want to support her even though she was trying to walk. By this point, she had begin to cry so I called the vet and they said to bring her in for an evaluation. My kids and I tearfully wrapped her up in a blanket and drove to the vet. It seemed as if we were sitting in the waiting room forever. The vet told me that her heart, eye function, and lungs were great - also taking into consideration her age of 15! The problem seemed to be FCE - firocartilanginous embolism: w...

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo...