Skip to main content

Rilke's advice

Rilke advised me to "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves..."
I took his advice.
I swallowed his words whole hoping they would take root and grow in my belly like the absurd possibility of eaten watermelon seeds.
I watered the questions.
I took risks.
I went to places I'd never dreamed possible and met people that were easier and harder to love than the questions themselves.
I got lost in their stories.
I learned the unspoken language and the pauses in their speech.
I saw that we shared the same questions
and we all struggle to love them.

Questions are hard to love.
They are restless wanderers that leave as soon as you become used to their company
and return to visit when you aren't prepared to face them.

"Live the questions now", Rilke tells me.
In their curvy strength I'm to live, to breathe and be content.
Am I to ride wholeheartedly the uncertainty of this rollercoaster?
At every bend should I raise my arms in gleeful surrender and finally exhale at the abrupt dot’s end?
This question’s ride is not always amusing.

The question isn't if I've lived the question Mr. Rilke,
but have questions really helped me to live?


T.L. Eastman 2015 Copyright

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn