Skip to main content

Gratitude and letting go

Image from: Yoga Inspiration

Philippians 3:12-14 ESV

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

This autumn season is one of color, beauty and celebration and as we step into the month of November our focus shifts to the coming holiday of Thanksgiving; where we enjoy the bounty of the harvest season and the company of those we love. In the midst of these cooler days, the trees that were once full of leaves are beginning to grow thin. The leaves that were once green have changed to red, orange and yellow - and now they blanket the ground like confetti. 

As I think about this yearly cycle of life, I'm always impressed with the grace and flexibility of trees. Each year, every tree shifts from winter, to spring, spring to summer, summer to autumn and finally back to winter. In the midst of living through these seasons of perpetual change, the tree continues to live - to grow and change. 

What if I could live my own life with such grace and flexibility, like the trees that line the streets where I live?

If I were to be more like this changeable tree, what would my life look like? 

This selection of verses from Philippians reminds me also of how God calls each of us to live each day with grace and flexibility. While this verse admits that as people we are imperfect, that in our imperfection, we are called to live life fully. That because of what God has done for us through Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit - that we are freed to let go - to forget what is behind us - and press on to the season ahead.

The way that trees let go of their leaves, makes the process of letting go of the past look easy; but for people this process can be difficult. We long for what is familiar and for what is comfortable - and yet God calls us to keep looking forward, to press on, and to hear and live the call of a life that's been freed through Jesus.

While on the surface, trees let go of their leaves simply; we have to remember that each tree moves from season to season living with its leaves: nurturing in spring, blooming in summer, letting go in autumn, and preparing for new life to come all winter.When the time is right, the tree lets go of what is past - and moves on to what is to come in the cold of winter; because it knows that spring is coming after that. As we observe the falling of the leaves, we can see that the trees have some wisdom in how to live in freedom, grace and flexibility - just as our text in Philippians reminds us as well. We are called to live our lives in freedom - because of Jesus Christ - and to embrace each season for what it is. God calls us to live out each season fully - to nurture, to bloom, to let go, and to prepare; as it is appropriate. But in all seasons, God calls us to "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." As we let go of the past, our lives are freed up and space is made the upward journey of the season to come.

Do not be afraid of letting go. We have so much to be thankful for. All of the colors of our lives are glorious, but new colors need a place to grow as well. The trees have shown us, just how beautiful letting go can be...because letting go makes room for new life, a new season and a new exciting life that is yet to come.

This autumn, consider how your gift of life is one to celebrate and how your unique gifts (time, talents, treasure) can bring color, grace, and beauty to those around you! When you give your gifts to others - you take part in the autumn dance of letting go and pressing on for what is to come, because the next season is already on its way here...

                                           Painting: Holding things lightly, by: T.L. Eastman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness