Wednesday, January 07, 2009
20 random things about me
Image found at University of Bristol
Sarah Louise tagged me yesterday for a new 20 random things meme so here's my go at interesting randomness.
1. When I was a kid, classmates used to tease me by trying to come up with some nice and nasty nicknames for my somewhat unique name - Tara. Unique for growing up in western Pa anyhow. I was called "A rat" ( my name backwards), Tigger (by my Dad for my 24- 7 energy) and "Tara the terrible" (can't remember who started that one). It's weird that recently at my new office, my co-workers have started calling me "Tara the terrible"too. At first I thought of telling them of the not so great association, but I had a second thought. They call me "T the terrible" out of liking me, not for anything else. So with no connection to the origin, I am again "Tara the terrible." :)
2. Sometimes buying a new eyeshadow or lip gloss is all I need to cheer up.
3. I am a sucker for babies and dogs and they know it.
4. It is almost impossible for me to respond to a compliment on something I'm wearing without telling the person who commented on it the story of how I came by it.
5. I love movies and books that make me cry.
6. Sometimes I dream of moving to Europe with my family to go write a novel and paint.
7. When I was a freshman in high school, I was obsessed with the film "Flashdance" and decided I wanted to be a dancer when I grew up. After making that decision, I would go down to by basement every evening after dinner and dance to my Bryan Adams tape over and over again. "Back in the summer of 69..."
8. Jogging on a cool day in the rain is one of the best things in the world.
9. Mrs. Hodak was one of the most difficult teachers I had in elementary school, without her I never would have started writing poems or essays. Without her I don't know where I'd be.
10. I think Facebook is a wonderful but potentially life consuming hobby. Making connections with people is wonderful, but depth in relationships is necessary for them to be real.
11. My first trip to a museum was to Carnegie in Pittsburgh when I was fifteen years old. I touched one of the Monet 'Water lillies' paintings because I didn't know any better. The guard didn't kick me out.
12. Going to my Aunt Dolly's house was great because she was so creative and working on projects, taking care of goat. She also spray painted a mural of the Arizona landscape around the wall surrounding her in ground pool. She had a fantastic pool.
13. Book club on Tuesdays is one of the best things about my week.
14. I think Scrabble is the best board game ever.
15. Sometimes I find that words or ideas find me. Currently, I keep bumping into the word 'Unbuntu'. This week I found it in the book written by Desmond Tutu. This is the third random reference in two months.
16. I've come to realize that after all this time, I much prefer back tea with sugar to any fancy coffee drink.
17. Walking in surf on a puffy cloud blue sky day is the closest thing to heaven on earth, on earth.
18. I'm amazed that after living in my community for about 16 years that I keep bumping into people that I've never met before even though we have been in the same social circles all along.
19. Sometimes I feel as if I belong on the west cost. Not Southern California, but Oregon or Washington State.
20. Tagging other for these kinds of meme's and reading all about them is the best part of them: Mary Lue, Aaron rambles, Jeff Horne, Ian Formation Station, and Belltowne Babe.