Skip to main content

SWB: The Land of Counterpane


Image from Amazon.com of the book cover, 'Sleeping with bread: holding what gives you life.'

This poem by Robert Louis Stevenson is one that I remember from my childhood. My Mom used to almost recite it to my sister and I if we were home and sick in bed. I make a stronger connection to this poem and my sister as she struggled with a heart problem all of her life. This poem holds a balance of the comfort of quilts, over-stuffed pillows, and covers filled with favorite toys without shying from the fact that the child is in the bed because she is ill. I mention this poem on Sleeping with bread Monday as I think it holds in beautiful balance the comfort and discomfort that are present in life. It is an example of the bitter-sweetness of life.

The Land of Counterpane

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

Robert Louis Stevenson


As for my bread for the week, I took comfort in unscheduled time with my husband and children over the holiday.It's so fun to have long chats that meander around like a lazy river with the ones you love the most. Earlier this weekend I wrote a piece (Please, see Saturday's blog if you'd like to know more about our adventures.) about going on a walk with my 3 year old great nephew on New Years Day - that was a great moment! I enjoyed the fun of catching up on season 4 of Lost, yes I'm one of those crazy Lost fans. Now I'm all set on Hulu for the new season when it begins.

As for discomfort, I feel most of that is coming into my life as a means of growth and personal stretching. Isn't it peculiar how once you reach one goal, another one comes right behind it to push beyond comfort zones. I took a new world dance class on Saturday and on Sunday my ribs and sides reminded me all day of the physical frontier that I'd pushed past. I'm stretching in other parts of life too.

This week is my birthday week as well, so that gives me another reason to reflect and ponder this moment in life. I hope to have lunch with my husband on Friday at the only Indian spot in 70 miles, we'll have to drive 68 miles to get there, but it will be worth it.

Also, this coming Sunday I will be formally installed as the youth minister and a member at my new church. I've invited friends and family to attend and I'm really excited about this upcoming event. It represents to me the great deal of learning and rediscovery as well as a chance to lay down some roots for a bit. For the first time in a long while, I feel like I could put down some vocational roots without being as fearful of what's going to happen a few months down the road. You never know the permanence of work and life, but it's good to feel like I am able to relax my gun shy roots for a while.

From the comforts of childhood to the passing of another birthday, I desire that my roots run deep into the well of God that refreshes my soul. More than down comforters or a dream job, God is someone I know I can rest in.

Comments

Unknown said…
First, I want to say happy birthday...what a great way to start out the new year...starting your next year of life...

I love those lazy days with family. My husband and I cherish those days the most.
Mel said…
What an awesome poem......perfect for the Monday SWB posting.

And joyous, HAPPY birthday to you, ma'am.
I say you can't go too far for a decent Indian meal. (I don't haffta go far--himself cooks Corma like you wouldn't believe.....yumm!)

Blessings to you and yours--and joyous celebrations for your birthday week, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness