Skip to main content

Sleeping with bread: Croutons


My Sleeping With Bread friend Mary Lue, mentioned last week that little crackers would suffice for bread in a pinch. So this week I'll call my bread Croutons.

This week has had both kinds of croutons, the too-crunchy-stale-out-of-the-box-kind and the tasty made at home with lots of garlic and butter kind. I suppose I'll start with the stale croutons first.

Stale croutons:

I have acquired a mean-spirited cold that does not want to quit. I'm foggy headed, feverish, and sleep-seeking. It is my main focus to consume lots and lots of OJ, Tea and anything else that is liquid. I even went to the doctors to check for strep - thankfully it isn't. Only a virus that lasts at least only 10 days, so says the Dr.

I'm frustrated that apparently some disorder and mess was left at the end of a youth event on Friday. Instead of spending a day away from work, this afternoon, I will now have to deal with the group that may or may not be responsible for the problem.
Conflict is so not my gig, but respect for each others property and person is paramount. So later today the discussion begins. RESPECT... tell me what it means to me.

The Electric Co. raised its kilowatt rates. I opened the bill this morning and exclaimed, "Wow!" Not in a good way.

I'm speaking at a student fellowship on Tuesday for 4 groups of students. I'm not feeling ready.


Tasty garlic butter croutons:


I began to partially regain my sense of smell yesterday afternoon as my son was snacking on jalapeno kettle chips. Man are they funky smelling!

By this afternoon, I will have the mystery of the crepe paper and tarter sauce packets resolved.

The sub zero winter chill is fading here. It has been reaching the 40's this weekend and there are rumors of 60 degrees by Wednesday. I can turn the heat down. :)

French onion soup is quite tasty, even when you have a cold.

I'm speaking at a student fellowship on Tuesday for 4 groups of students. I'm excited to see how it goes.

A worry that was heavily weighing on me last week, was lifted. I'm breathing a bit easier.

I will peel myself away from the computer today, and go soak up a good book the old fashioned way, page by page.

There is a community Valentines party that I'll be helping out with later this week, it should be a grand time.

I have a gig on Friday night - it's the first in a long while.

I'm making an effort to keep an eye on what I'm actually eating. I used to use a journal and successfully once lost over 30 pounds as a part of that discipline. Since exercise had become more and more regular to me since last April, keeping track if my intake (what I need as well as what I don't) may be to tool that I've been missing in my effort to be healthier.

I was unexpectedly told, "I love you." yesterday. It's still making me smile.

This week is Valentines Day. I keep trying to think upon sweet words and thoughts, even in the midst of dealing with conflict. Here are some wise words from Madeline L'Engle to ponder along in spite my cold affected mindset. Be well and don't forget the croutons, the tasty kind.


When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.

I like the fact that in ancient Chinese art the great painters always included a deliberate flaw in their work: human creation is never perfect.
Madeleine L'Engle

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hang in there, sweetpea. I've had a horrible cold too, but I'm finally getting over it. Read lots of books, drink lots of tea... you're on the right track. Slow down as much as you can.
Hugs to you xxxooo
Mel said…
Tarter sauce and crepe paper, eh?

*chuckling*

Well, you can't say they're not creative!

Feel better soon, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn