Skip to main content

I had a dream


Painting by Simon Dewey
I had a dream about playing follow the leader last night.
Then as I listened to the gospel reading in worship this morning the words hit me in the most profound way.

Mark 8:31-38 Jesus Predicts His Death
31He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.

33But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

34Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35For whoever wants to save his life[c] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."


Earlier in the week I'd read the gospel reading for the upcoming Sunday in preparation for the children's message I do each week. I'd read so much about the promises of God, that I'd decided to go in that direction for my short message. I'd looked at the Gospel reading, but I'd missed the part about Jesus asking everyone to simply follow after him. Take up what who you are and what you have (cross) and follow me.

The night before I'd had a dream about playing follow the leader. I was walking through a neighborhood full of families and children, inviting them to join me for a youth event at the church. When we arrived at the building, I was amazed to see how many people had come along. In fact, in my dream I remembering being worried that I did not have enough snacks and activities for everyone to participate.

A person pulled me aside and gushed of the the number of people who were there and immediately began thinking of ways they could start working and doing different things. I refused, and told the person that these people were our guests and we needed to serve them. They tried to argue, but I stood my ground and the people were treated well and enjoyed the time there. Funny too, there were enough snacks and crafts for everyone to participate. At this point in the dream, I woke up and got ready for my own morning of worship.

I'd hesitated to write about this dream and the timeliness of it arrival, because I thought some might think its strange. However, I felt compelled to write about it this afternoon as I continue to try and sort its meaning out. Getting me to ask questions might be part of this dream's purpose.

As I sat in the choir loft this morning listening to the words,
"Take up your cross and follow me."
I heard them in a new way.
I started asking questions:
"God, was this just a dream?",
"God who do you want me to go to?"
"God, how will I lead?".

A long time ago, my friend and mentor Grace talked to me about leading. She said, "The leader just has to lead."

Her words seemed too simple and somehow complex at the same time. Today, in remembering her words, they still seem that way. I'm thankful for her encouragement to help me stand up and simply put one foot in front of the other. Some days that is all you need to do. But, honestly when I really consider leading I know I can't be the one very first in line. I need to better follow one step, one moment, and one dream at a time.

I'm still pondering all the meaning in my last dream and that is OK. I'll continue following my leader, Jesus.


Gene Rocha Photography


Have you ever had a dream that seemed more than just a dream? What did you do with it? How did it effect you? How did it effect others when they heard it?

Comments

Mel said…
Boy. I'm not sure how to answer those without going into some huge ramble.

There are those dreams I can chalk up to indigestion or movies I've watched,or some experience, or late night thoughts.
And then there are those that I'm clear were to 'bring me' something.
Not cuz they stood alone--but because the course of events following the dream made things fall into place and connected dots for me--if that makes sense.....
Which it probably does to only me! LOL

I try to limite the folks I tell those things to--people start looking at you a bit oddly. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn