Skip to main content

Please release me, let me go


The lyrics of the song, "Please release me, let me go.."  (thank you Tom Jones) have been bouncing around my mind all week. I've been pondering on the practical and spiritual meaning of the story of Lazarus and what it means to be "untied" from things that bind or hold people back.


Later this weekend, I will be sharing a children's message based on the reading in John 11, concerning the death of Lazarus. I know the story and I'm pretty sure that we shared it with the kids at VBS a few years ago, but I'd like to be careful in how it's presented. This Sunday is All Saints Sunday, it was just Halloween - and as much as I like the fun of Halloween, I don't want the account of Lazarus and Jesus to sound like another spooky story.
The more I read this account, the more I'm struck on how Jesus walks into a situation of grief, experiences that grief, and takes action to release his friends and himself from it. The words that I keep getting stuck on are as follows, " Take of the grave clothes and let him go."

Lazarus had died, true. Jesus raises him, true. But when it comes to being freed to take his first Resurrected steps, Jesus asks Lazarus' friends and family to help.

"Take off the grave clothes and let him go."

Shortly after this account, the timeline on Jesus own arrest, crucifixion and Resurrection speed up. In fact, it seems that some of the expediency of his own death comes as a result of his actions to assist Lazarus and his family. Stunning, isn't it? While Lazarus' resurrection was not eternal, like Jesus. The act of resurrection was something that caused so much upset, that Jesus was targeted for execution.

All this talk of death, does not make for an easy children's message, but here in lies a theme that will be suitable to their, and their parents ears...

Jesus wants to set us free from the things that tie us up, in this life and beyond. Just as Jesus set Lazarus free from death and his family free from grief; he invited them to help in at action of "letting go" and moving into a new or resurrected way of living - now!

"Take off the grave clothes and let _____ go."

I suppose it could be said, that we all wear "grave clothes" of one sort or another. Instead of looking at life a opportunity, we can always think of the limitations. The negative can often overshadow the positive. However, in this lesson, Jesus overcomes all that, and then asks people to help remove the grave clothes and "let him go". 

In the simple act of asking for people's help; maybe Jesus assigns some resurrection responsibility to us? Could it be, that people have the ability, with God's help, to remove some grave clothes (limitations, negativity, apathy) and help to free others to live a new life that is full of opportunity, positivism and care?

Putting it simply, what things make you and those you care about feel "tied up"? How might Jesus be asking us to help try on some new clothes and be freed up to live?

Jesus took a great deal of risk in reaching out to resurrect Lazarus and invite others into living new lives. I think that risk, along with the repercussions that came afterward for him are a reminder of God's great love for people, and a reminder to work together for freedom and life.

So, in response to this message, I say to myself just as I share it with others:

Put on some new duds. Let go. Live. - and help others to do the same.

"Take off the grave clothes and let ________ go."


JOHN 11:41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up(AS) and said, “Father,(AT) I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here,(AU) that they may believe that you sent me.”(AV)
43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”(AW) 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen,(AX) and a cloth around his face.(AY)
Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness