Skip to main content

Elephants never forget



At book club earlier this week, the topic of memory came into the discussion. We talked about the different kinds of memory we all have and use. People cramming text books of information into their heads just long enough for college exams, people reciting phone numbers long enough to get in touch with a plumber, or learning a poem so it can be recited for a Christmas program. So much memory is held in that temporary file and exchanged throughout the day, I got to thinking. What memories and thoughts do we really hold on to?

Its often said that elephants never forget. When I was a kid I used to picture an elephant with all sorts of strings tied around it's trunk, limbs and tail when that would be said. I'd often wonder why anyone or anything would want to remember everything they've ever seen, experienced or said. Even now, I can't imagine retaining all that information.

There are things I wish I could remember better though. When thinking of fuzzy memories of loved ones, I often want a physical trigger to help me reconnect with a happy moment. Sometimes a scent or a photo can be a switch for long lost connections to be made. Its true there are certain times of the year that I become more nostalgic; anniversaries, birthdays and even dates of loved ones passing have made me yearn for authentic memories to come to life.

Earlier this week, a student in one of my groups greeted me excitedly saying, "Hey, I have a Christmas present for you!". I was taken by surprise, and happily opened the red tissue wrapped bundle with anticipation. The switch was flipped by what I unwrapped.

Inside the wrapping was a stuffed plush elephant. It's tiny black eyes peered into mine and I recalled a moment when my sister and I had been given crystal nick-knacks. They were the glass blown animals tinged with color that were easily found at craft stores. I think mine was a mouse, but I clearly remember that hers was an elephant. I was warmed and comforted by the memory of my sister holding her glass elephant. She loved elephants.

My student had noticed my Indian purse that had elephants on it as well as a skirt I'd worn one day that was covered in elephants. She knew I liked elephants and when she saw the stuffed elephant at the store, she bought it for me.

Funny thought, I never told her why I liked elephants so much. My sister passed away at the age of 15 from complications of a heart defect she'd been born with. It's been over twenty years since she passed away, but I have always remembered her affection for elephants. In a way, I suppose my enjoyment of elephants is a way of feeling connected to her and the memory of opening our glass creatures that day.

Unwrapping our memories is something that takes us off guard, rather like opening an unexpected Christmas gift. The giver had no idea how precious that gift was and I'm thankful to her for giving something that was unexpectedly jogged my childhood memory.

Although my mind contains lots of fuzzy memories, I found out this week that the old adage is true - elephants never forget. Sometimes they even help you remember.



Click here to join in on NaBloPoMo
11 thankful posts down, 20 to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness