Skip to main content

Rest, recharge and create "True Sisterhood"

Image from official True Sisterhood website.

"True sisterhood began with "four fearless yet fragile women tackling the issues of life and relationship from a distinctively Christian perspective. Hosted by Constance Rhodes w/ Margot Starbuck, Sharon Hersh, and Paige Armstrong." says the official web page for True sisterhood.

Over this summer a group of Jamestown women began getting to know a little about this group of ladies and if all things work out well, our stated small but not so small group of over forty women interested in growing in faith, confidence and purpose might become and official chapter /partner with this greater organization of "True sisterhood and Finding balance." We hope to find out in the next month or so if an official partnership with this "big sister" organization will be possible.

Years ago, I was incredibly influenced by the author Madeline L'Engle and never wrote to tell her. Madeline passed away in 2007, and when she was gone I realized what an opportunity I'd missed in trying to correspond with her. After that, and with the accessibility of email and social networking sources; I've since tried to let painters, musicians and writers know when something they've given had connected with me. For the most part, this has been an enriching experience and in a few cases has led to meeting and organizing a public event for a few favorite authors. About a year ago, I came across Margot Starbuck's book, "The girl in the orange dress" and was so encouraged by it that I decided to send an email to the author.

Margot was incredibly gracious when I emailed her and generously sent me a copy of her then newly released copy of "Unsqueezed". One thing led to another after reading Margot's second book. This summer I worked with volunteers from my church to host a summer women's book club with this text as a springboard for our meetings. It turned out to be a great group of 41 women and I'm hoping to keep stirring up the energy started in the group by hosting a women's day retreat the weekend of October 14.

It's through the partnership with Margot and her involvement with "True Sisterhood" that our group is getting their feet on the ground. Along with Margot, there are some other wonderful ladies that have been supportive and helping to build the structure of this fellowship. Rebecca Hart, a pastor from Columbus Ohio and teacher for the Princeton Theological Seminary's Youth Ministry Forums is working to develop this retreat to be held on October. Enuma Okoro, speaker - writer - and my mentor through the Princeton Program is assisting with development of the overall ministry plan and Lynn Farrow has been helping me to develop projects to help women participating in the workshops to express themselves through creative means.

With all this support, planning and a home team ready and willing to help - we are planning a Friday night and Saturday morning retreat on October 14 and 15, 2011. If you would like to attend this event, please let me know in the comments. The general description of the event can be found below.

Isn't it amazing how God works when we function as the sisters and brothers we've been created to be?

"Join us for a Friday night and Saturday morning day retreat to recharge your batteries, enjoy the fellowship of others, work on creative projects, laugh and learn with Becky Hart - pastor and presenter for Princeton's Youth Ministry Forums and Tara Eastman Director of youth and family ministry @ First Lutheran Church of Jamestown. (Cost is $25.00 - includes Friday night snacks, craft and art supplies, two sessions with Becky/Tara and Saturday morning continental breakfast and closing session. Friday 6-10pm and Saturday 9-noon. This is not a sleep-over retreat, accommodations will have to be arranged for out of town travelers."

To RSVP on the Facebook event page go to this link: True Sisterhood Retreat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness