Skip to main content

Spring forward


(Image found at Delicious Earth.)


Spring provides an opportunity for us to make a transition to spending more time outdoors, being more active, and spending less time in our winter state of hibernation. We are in a time of change, growth and shift in these early cool days of spring - but I think we are at a place of being ready for some waking up.

The crocuses are peeking out of the ground by the walkway by my house, a robin or two have been spotted, and the last "official" day of winter is now behind us. I think it might be safe to say that Spring has arrived! (Just don't get to hasty on the shorts and tank tops yet!)

In the church calender we have approximately four more weeks of Lent, before the time of great rejoicing and joy: Easter. This point in the Lenten season, it can become more challenging to stay focused on Ash Wednesday pledges and commitments, so I was considering shifting my perspective within lent to a more spring-like point of view.

I've been thinking a great deal about the flowers peeking from the ground this week. By their posture, and their progress; it's almost as if the flowers are in a position of anticipation or seeking. They seem to be scoping out the chilly air in hope of being caught in a warm ray of early spring sunshine. The flowers are seeking the light.

Jeremiah 29:12-14 reminds me of the determination of the sun seeking flowers, only in this case it is a challenge given to the people of God.

12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.


While we may not be a people in a situation of physical captivity, like the Israelites in this passage, we may at this point in Lent feel stuck in our progress or growth. Just like the faithful flower that has waited all winter to spring out of the cold ground, how might these last few weeks of Lent be an opportunity for us to spring up and grow?

If you feel held back by something, maybe this season of Lent is an opportunity to pray about or work through that "something". We need to keep in mind that the parts of life we often exalt or celebrate are the blooming flower kind of moments; when in reality the beauty of the flower includes the whole process of being planted, watered, germinating, and pushing its way through the dirt and stones to finally break through to the surface and the be exposed to the sun.

Lent is a season for us to germinate: to come into being, to sprout and to grow. Without the season of rest, growth and dirt, there would be no flowers at all. Hang in there. Spring has just sprung and Easter morning is just around the corner. Seek God with your whole heart these last weeks of Lent, and prepare to experience a bountiful spring in the garden of your spirit!

Seek the light, and SPRING forward!

Comments

Mel said…
To come into being--to sprout and grow......

I'm ready for all the glory of spring.
Anonymous said…
Your writing always gives me a spiritual lift. Thanks so much for taking the time to put your insights into written word for the rest of us.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness