Skip to main content

Holy Conversations: Where did I first meet God?


Where did I first meet God?

Thankfully, my childhood experience and introduction to God is filled with memories of sitting close to my Dad, holding his hand during prayer, listening to music and the messages, and feeling wrapped in safety as light shone through the stained glass windows of the sanctuary. I recall the pastor preaching a series on committing our lives to the practice of loving others the way Jesus did. Each week, when he would ask if anyone in the congregation would like to recommit their hearts to Christ and his way of life my heart would thump loud in my ears and tears would come to my eyes. It was if a magnet would pull my hand high above my head. I'd look up to see if he'd seen my hand and refuse to put it down till he smiled and nodded in my direction. "I see that hand.", he'd say in a kind and comforting way.

After a few weeks of this, Pastor C. stopped to chat with my Mom and Dad and I one week. He said, "I noticed that each week you keep raising your hand. Is there something worrying you concerning your love for God?"

I replied with wide eyes, "Pastor, I can't help but raise my hand. I want to God to know I love him and want to love him more!" The Pastor said."God knows you love him Tara, he sees into your heart and can see it quite clearly."

I wonder today about that pull I felt to let God know I loved him back. When I was a child it seemed so simple to be aware of God's love and care for me. I'd see God's care in the sky as I swung on my swing set singing Zip-e-dee-do-dah, I'd feel the Holy Spirit's touch in the warm breeze or the warmth that would wash over me when I took communion. My magnet for God was so sensitive as a child. As time passes, it seems that frustration with a system, or discouragement can dull the built-in sense of the divine that was so acute in childhood.

Even now when I regain that awareness of God's presence, it's when I abandon my cares and worry and allow the Holy Spirit to wash over me. It's like a re-baptism really. Laying down one way of life and being raised to live a brand new one with all my awareness of God turned up high.

I sense God's presence in the times that I make room for the space of movement, the connection of positive energy in relationship with others, in worship, in play and even in singing a verse of zip-a-dee-do-dah! Oh what a beautiful day!

Thank you God for loving me, and knowing that in my heart I love you too.


This essay is part of a group discussion that takes place at First Lutheran Church of Jamestown, NY. We also carry on an online discussion on Facebook at the Holy Conversations group page. Feel free to join our group Wed. Feb. 10th at noon or anytime at the online group location. To order your copy of Holy Conversations, click here.

Comments

Mel said…
What a lucky child you were.....
Tara Lamont said…
Thank you Mel..I'm lucky to know you as well.

Some parts of the journey are loud and some a quiet. Life is really like that as well. The noise level is not what makes it good or bad, it just makes it unique to you and the circumstances of your unique life and your journey with God.

While I know there are times I'd love a "burning bush" to be in my path and let me know which way to go next, God will be in the quiet, the whisper or in the scripture I read when I quiet myself enough to really listen.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness