Skip to main content

SWBMost grounded/least grounded


* For what am I most grateful? Least grateful?
* When did I give and receive the most love? The least love?
* When did I feel most alive? Most drained of life?
* When did I have the greatest sense of belonging? Least sense of belonging?
* When was I most free? Least free?
* When was I most creative? Least creative?
* When did I feel most connected? Least connected?
* When did I feel most fully myself? Least myself?
* When did I feel most whole? Most fragmented?"
(ltuande2.blogspot.com/ ie. mary)

In light of looking at the guidelines for SWB - I think I'd like to alter my approach to the question this week. Instead of the "whole/fragmented" - I'm taking the idea and going with the words: Most grounded/least grounded.

This last week has been a combination of letting go and holding on to many different things. At work, our team succeeded in distributing 610 bags of toys/gifts for the children in our community, as well as Christmas dinner for almost 500 families. It is the moments that I recall taking the application for a client and having the opportunity of handing the hoped for items to them in person that I feel centered. I love the full-circle moments of life!

On my way home the evening of the give-away, I stopped for gas and as I got back into my car it refused to turn over. There I was at the BP, tank filled to the brim with the gas card that had been gifted to me by a dear co-worker - and I was stuck. I felt myself crumbling as I sat in my car. All day long, I had imagined coming home and sitting with my family and enjoying snacks with them after feeling rather absent from them during the hectic social service season...and all my imaginings were a lost to me in that moment at the gas station.


I had a good cry and called my dear co-worker's husband who is our resident mechanic and he just so happened to be on the way home, via my route. He arrived and agreed that the starter had died and tinkered under the hood for several minutes. He told me to get into the car and turn the key and not let up - as I did this he hit the starter with his tire wrench. Like something out of a Christmas movie, the engine started! I hugged the stuffing out of my mechanic and started to cry all over again. Presently, my car is being worked on at my mechanic - it will live to start again.

Later that same evening, we had snacks and goofed off like I had hoped. I slept in late on Saturday and had the fun of shopping with and making cookies with my kids (pre-purchased cookie dough of course). Sunday was church, dinner with my hubby's Mom and presents with her ( I had made her a prayer labyrinth out of clay and was anxious to give it to her.)As we waited for dinner we all danced in the kitchen to the Nutcracker that was playing on Mom's radio. Spinning, turning and dancing about we were there together, present with each other and lost in the joy of the moment. This was the center of my center. After diner, returned to our church in the evening and had a candle service there. After that, we sauntered home to work on the final wrapping and set up for the morning. I called an old friend and asked her if she would go to a Christmas Eve 11pm service with me. She agreed and we have the opportunity to enjoy some carols and communion. I arrived home and got ready for bed and waited for the morning to come...

Christmas was a bit of a blur. We were up to see what Santa had left us by 6am, so the gifts were open and being played with by 7:30. We had coffee, eggs and donuts and were lazy all morning. Dinner was at Mom's, so we packed up exchange gifts and hit the road by 1pm. The dinner was great. We all were sleepy and took turkey naps afterwards while we watched new DVD's.

It is that moment that my reality doesn't match my anticipated reality that I feel the least grounded. Yet in the same way in the moments I allow improve in that I feel the most centered. I supposed it matters if I'm the one opening the door or its the circumstances that barge on in that is the difference. How can it be that the presentation of the surprise makes all the difference in the how it is received? Gifts are like this too. Do I accept the gift no matter the material? Do I carry the weight of the world along with the gift? May I be thankful for the gifts I'm given even in the midst of unexpected chaos. The first Christmas was like that too if you consider the circumstances of Mary, Joseph and the infant Jesus. They held on in the midst of chaos and they were serenaded by angels. Maybe I just need to wait and listen for the music a bit longer?

Créche
by Della Comer MacGillivray



"Twas a star with a twinkling smile
in Heaven above
as angels sang in gladness
on a night of love

Lo! Shepherds followed the star
to a babe whose birth
gave adoring joy for a new born
Christ had come to earth

Three Magi traveled from afar
to lay treasures at his feet
while friendly beasts knelt
homage - complete

A little white dove perched
and cooed in telling glee
"My heart and a lullaby
I give to thee"
(www.swcp.com/authors/skylarking/crechePoem.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness