Skip to main content

SWB: When did I feel most fully myself? Least myself?













Bread is better than lotion for making you feel comfortable in your own skin!

Sleeping with bread provides the opportunity for some internal as well as external assessment of a persons' life in general. I think that is why it has prooved to be such a helpful "exercise". It involves spiritual, physcial, emotional and practical aspects of life and it gives people the chance to look at the whole instead of separate parts of self.

This said, I am one full week into my new position with Westminster Prebyterian Church and I have to say, I'm feeling more like myself than I have in a very long time. It's difficult at this early point to discern the exact reasons why I'm feeling more comfortable in my skin - but the fact remains that I do. So I'll try to explain some of the whys, at least the whys that I understand at the moment.

Why #1?
Commuting is no longer a part of my day. While there are times that I miss the thinking and alone time of my commute to work ( mostly for the ipod shuffle time), I'm greatly relieved to no longer have to clock 40 -50 miles a day in my 1993 Red Buick Skylark. I'm feeling more centered and calm, even though I still have a great deal to accomplish in a single day - and I think it comes back to the place that I don't always have to be "on the move". There is more time for living and less for sitting alone in my car one hour a day.

Why#2?
There is joy in finding how God works in the midst of living a working in one community. Througout the week, I ran into people at the grocery store, at Walmart and two different coffe shops I like to visit. One coffee shop in particular felt like an appointment that God set up. After attending a meeting for college one day last week, I decided to go out for coffee and actually prayed that God would guide me to the right place. After driving around in my Red Buick Skylark for a few minutes i decided to go to a spot I hadn't been for probaby 6 months. I pulled in, ordered my coffee and bagel and scoped out a place to sit. as I turned around I saw a girl that used to be involved in a previous ministry I had been involved in and had always wondered about. After the usual exchange of "Hellos" I found out that she worked there. As I sat working on my notes for an on campus meeting I had later in the day, she came over on her way to her lunch break and I invited her to sit and visit. There weren't fireworks or any major conversion as we sat chatting over bagels and coffee - but there was a connection made between two people that had lost touch in the winds of time. Thanks God for that - I felt at home in my skin at that moment.

Why#3?
Conflicts or even potential conflicts are not my best area of function. I love it when people get along, support each other and care about their relationships. So, I even see the humor in the fact that I spend a great deal of time and energy helping people get along and press on for a goal to better life for the majority. Conflict is an everyday part fo life that usually makes me feel least myself - off center - messed up.
One of my first duties while working on a particular outreach project was to assist a group of students in becoming more organized, concerned about the feelings of the people they were directing and sensitive to the nature of serving thier campus. I had imagined all sorts of negatives: This group isn't used to working with a female in a ministry role, this group won't be willing to accept direction let alone criticism from me... and on and on and on...
As it turns out, the small group was totally fine with the fact that I was their advisor from now on, they let me direct them and help them get organized for the meeting for next week and they allowed me to help lead the devotion for that day's session. Surprise - I felt at home in my skin even in the midst of potential conflict.

Why#4?
Singing and playing guitar make me happy. More than that - leading worship and seeing the joy on the faces of the people in front of me is a joy that I can't quite describe. This Sunday, my friend James and I led the early worship service with music and I shared some thoughts and scriptures with the group that was gathered for church. It was a beautiful time of worship, prayer, communion and more for me. It was a moment I saw all the things I'd hoped for over the last 6 months all come together to create the strongest sense and reality of church community for months, maybe even years. God helped me feel not just comfortable, but good and whole and safe in my skin on last Sunday morning. I was me and I was home!

Now I can's say that all these circumstances and situations from week one are stress free and easy, but I can honestly say that the only moments that I felt least myself were the times I allowed old memories, unkind words or fear that I'd wake up from the happy dream distract me from the fullness of what my life really should and can be.

Luke 9:62 (New International Version)

62Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

When I look at this scripture I begin to think and wonder how often does my ability to rehash, rerun and repeat the negative things of life keep my focus off of the real direction I should be going in? If I'm truly beginning again, why carry around the burdens from the past?

Now that know the whys that help me feel more at home in my own skin and the thing that causes me to feel like a stranger to myself, can I make an effort to take another step forward? I think so, in fact - I know that I can't go backwards from now on (although it would be foolish to think I'll never wander off the road). One step at a time. one why at a time and hopefully soon I can help someone else feel at home in their own skin too.

Comments

Unknown said…
This is such a great share, Tara! How wonderful to hear all the good things this move is bringing you.
Unknown said…
P.S. I'm linking up the other SWB posts over at the SWB explanation site: ltuande2.blogspot.com.
Tara Lamont said…
Mary,
Sounds good to me! How has you're week been so far?
Tara
Unknown said…
Tara,

My week has been a little up and down. Some days better but still a little bit of a struggle. I'm glad it is Friday!

How about you? Any more migraine issues?

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness