Skip to main content

SWB: What am I most/least grateful


This morning the alarm went off all to early. Actually I don't think it was the time that was the problem, but my dislike of ordinary (snowy in march!) Monday mornings.

I'm grateful that at the end of the weekend, I accomplished completing a project for an outstanding college course. I spent some fun time on Friday night watching old episodes of Lost's first season with my kids and husband. I had all day on Saturday to play with some art projects, reflecting, retreating and absorbing. Sunday I spent a wonderful time in worship and community with my new church: Singing, discussing scripture, and being encouraged. I am grateful beyond words for all of this.

Sleep was not high on my list of things this past weekend, but after having the flu last week I'd felt I'd slept a lifetime away.

So here's the catch as I think upon what I'm most and least grateful for today. I'm grateful for the things ( like this weekend) that fill my life. In fact, I'm one of those people that likes her life to full! Multi tasking is my thing. But the problem for the multi taskers of the world can be staying focused on ONE THING!

I have difficulty staying the course on redundant, seemingly never ending tasks like: putting laundry away, filing papers, filling in my planner and last but not least - working on school projects that I just can't get "into". I'm not grateful for busywork.

So here's the catch: I like my life to be full, but I hate it when it's full of busy work. If I'd consistently work on a little busywork at a time: I wouldn't have mountains of laundry to put away, months of paid bills to file and stacks of papers to catch up on.

I know that Rome wasn't built in a day and that I will never be the kind of woman that looks forward to paperwork and matching socks - but I desire to be at least a little grateful for these everyday kinds of things. In fact, most of my inspiration in writing, art and music comes from the "everyday" sort of living. If I didn't have the everyday to reflect on maybe there would be no source for the creative activities I so love.

Every day is not going to be an exciting whirlwind of people and places. Some days are sock matching, laundry folding and paper writing kinds of days. I need to be thankful for the sock days as well as the art days. Huh? Maybe there is a way to use the leftover socks in an art project. Hmmmmm....I think I'd try anything to get out of that chore. I've even tried to pawn that one off on my kids. I've even tried to pay them to do it. None the less - I still need to wear socks and work on school projects.

Laundry, text books, and more. If I think if them as sources to contribute to the fullness of life maybe I wouldn't put them off the way I do. Multi taskers beware, doing one thing at a time can be something to be grateful for - just like finding clean socks neatly tucked away in your dresser.

Comments

Claire said…
"I like my life to be full, but I hate it when it's full of busy work."

Seriously...are you me?

Cxx
Tara Lamont said…
Claire,
No but we might be sisters that were separated at birth. HA. I'm mostly Welsh and then a Heniz 57 of many others nationalities... we may be related or possibly the Myers/Brigs personality type? (Enfp is mine)

Tara
Unknown said…
Atypical wrote a post which mirrors the idea that the everyday, while mundane, is also a place of opportunity. For you, the creative.

I'm so like you in the unfolded laundry, bills to be filed category. In fact, it has all gotten so out of control that I asked Paul to take a day off of work so that he and I could plow through this stuff together. Hopefully we'll have enough steam to finish the laundry, reorganize and clean the bedrooms, thoroughly scrub the bathrooms and kitchen AND give the hardwood a good cleaning. Okay. I'm tired already!
Mel said…
I suck at doing one thing at a time--this is why I apparently get a whole lot of practice at multi-tasking and making myself crazy.....so I CAN get better at actually getting a multitude of things done.

Wisepersoninmylife calls it 'sorting laundry' and making it all into manageable piles.
I call it PRISON! LOL

*sigh* And I so don't like sorting through stuff. I'd rather shove and go. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness