Skip to main content

Sleeping with Bread: I think I can



Sleeping with bread is a practice that combines thanksgiving with honesty with God, the church community and beyond. I've been slacking in my reflections on SWB Mondays, but my daily live has been full of more "living" so be that as it may a moment in life that I need to allow myself some grace in this "another" transition. That's life.




After spending much of March dealing with bronchitis and more in my family members and myself, I resolved to make a few changes to pursue a healthier lifestyle (totally necessary after not contributing to my personal fitness for over two years) - but this is a new day and a new life in many respects, so I joined a local gym a few weeks ago. There are moments of frustration over how fast my days pass now that I'm spending and hour or so exercising 6xs a week. I often find myself thinking: "I could be doing ______ right now instead of this." or "How did it get to be Wednesday already?" But for the most part, I know that this is a necessary activity if I want to live a healthy life. So I will give it my best to be "consistent" in pursuing more healthy activity. For this challenge and blessing- I'm thankful. I'm trying. I'm imagining the little engine that could while I'm doing the squat exercises I detest... I think I can.

Easter Sunday marked so many moments of thankfulness that I'm thinking if I get started I'm not sure I'll stop. As I said before, I'm trying. On Saturday I had egg coloring and pre-Easter dinner cooking to attend to as well as final holiday shopping. I picked up the Easter Baptism cake for my children's special day and had a wave of joy wash over me in the midst of the grocery store madness that I was unashamed of the tears that ran down my face as I read and re-read: Blessings on your baptism Heather and Nigel. I was stuck in a moment of gratitude for the opportunity not only for my career re-do, but for the way my family has been embraced and felt at home at "our" new fellowship. It's only been a few months since we've transitioned into this church, but we feel like we've been a part of things for much longer. We feel at home at Westminster and that was reflected in my tears over a cake in the middle of the grocery store. I hadn't felt such intense emotion for a long time. I sincerely believe that the emotion I experienced is a result of the healing and restoration that has taken place not only in me, but in the hearts and minds of my family as well. This makes me thankful for the need of this healing, the process ( even though it was/is difficult it was to deal with and go through)of healing, and the arrival at this present place of healing. I think I can - be home again.



The people that have been a part of all this change and many. Some old friends that needed a church have come on board attending services and participating in various activities both in and outside the fellowship. As I looked out over the group assembled on Sunday, I saw so many friends looking back at me: new friends and old friends - all in one place designated by God's unseen plan and purpose. I think I can ... receive and give love again.

We became members of Westminster on this last Sunday too, my husband and I. All four of us stood together while Nigel was baptized, then Heather and then we were asked if we wanted to become part of the fellowship. We all said, "Yes, with God's help." Many other members came forward to pray for us a lay hands on us to commit our pledge and their support to God. I think I/we can... be part of and with a fellowship...with God's help.


With God's help - I can exercise, be healed physically,emotionally and spiritually, give and receive love, and become and be a part of a fellowship of Christians that love God and love me and mine as we are. In fact, I know I can. With God, nothing is impossible.

Romans 8:28-35

More Than Conquerors
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

Comments

Unknown said…
You know I'm "with" you on the whole exercise thing...

How exciting, the baptisms and membership. I know that this has been an exciting time for you. I'm so happy for you all! :)

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness