Skip to main content

What were you born to do?



“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” This is a well know quote spoken by St. Francis of Assisi founder of the Order of Friars Minor, more commonly know as the Franciscans.

What is more important in sharing the gospel: Speaking or doing – Words or actions? Which is appropriate for each situation that comes out of the life of each Christian? Just as St. Francis encourages the living out of the gospel, he acknowledges that the spoken or written word is useful in expressing the gospel.

Honestly, talking the talk and walking the walk are aspects that can't be separated in Christian thought and living. Speaking without living like Christ is based on self-reliance and control of others. Trying to live like Christ without speaking about Him can result in living in fear and isolation instead of living in the forgiveness and grace of God.

Christian life is a combination of living and speaking – rather like the simple act of breathing. Inhale the teaching and Spirit of God – Exhaling it out to the world around us. There is sincerity in living and speaking that is necessary for God to work and move in and through our lives. We need to understand that we are dependent upon God just like we are for the oxygen we breathe. Without God in us how can we live like Him or tell others about him.

In the beginning of Hosea 1 – the condition of Israel is grim and it is time where the remaining people of God must take careful steps. God speaks to Hosea and instructs him to marry Gomer, a woman of questionable character and to have children with her. God does not direct Hosea to speak in the Temple or the marketplace, but he simply directs him to obey his instruction. Hosea listens and does as God directs.

It is challenging to understand why God would direct Hosea to marry a woman that he knew would not be devoted to him or his God or raise his children to follow God's laws. The morally corrupt circumstances and condition of Israel's people do not give Hosea many choices in building a family. It is necessary for Hosea to marry an undevoted woman and have children with her to serve as an example of how far morals have deteriorated. Hosea's children by Gomer are named: Jezreel (son) – after the condemned and corrupt political dynasty currently in power, Lo-runhamah (daughter) "She is not pitied" signifying that God willed no longer to have compassion on the kingdom of Israel and Lo-ammi (son) who's name meant "Not my people."
Israel's leaders had attempted to rule with military power and independence from God's direction and leading. They simply had sought after their own goals in their own ways and had been left with a community based on violence and loss of God's blessing.

Hosea's three children represent the punishment and destruction that will come upon the northern kingdom due to its promiscuity. Hosea was in a place where words would be lost in uncaring/unhearing ears and hearts. It was only by his obedient actions that redemption could occur.
The punishments embodied in the names of Hosea's children are reversed. God does not completely annihilate the people. Instead, God will eliminate any vestiges of war and bring a new peace. God will pour out compassion upon the inhabitants of Judah, stressing again that their salvation does not lie in warfare. Finally, God will renew the covenant that was annulled by their infidelity. The will become children of God. (Vs. 1:10) "You are (will be) my people and I am (will be) your God." – here is the reversal of Lo-ammi namesake.

Colossians 2: 6-7, reads " So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

In this verse the orthodoxy (talking the talk) and orthopraxis (walking the walk) are combined in way to express the importance of both aspects of Christian life. This combination is sometimes referred to as " Becoming what you are." As a Christian, you have a new life in Christ that is real! It is understanding that you are made new and are being remade every day that this practice of becoming what you are can occur.

A few days ago I was driving along and a statement on a billboard caught my attention, " Do what you were born to do." Just as Hosea's children were born to give attention and a name to the problems and challenges of Israel, we all have a name and a purpose to live and speak for God. It is in living out our dependence on God that our true life and voice are received. We need to be rooted and built up in Christ in order to live and become whom we really are.


What is more difficult – Living for Christ or speaking for Christ?

What do you think about the statement " Becoming what you are"?
Do you like " Do what you were born to do" as another option?
Is something missing from these statements?

Where do you feel the need to grow – preaching the gospel with your life or with your words?

Comments

Unknown said…
Great post, Tara...

I would say that I think living for Christ is the more difficult thing to do, simply because I think when you are living for Him, the speaking will follow.

It has always, always been my experience that when I am focusing on my relationship with God, the opportunity to speak comes without thinking.

As far as the statements "becoming what you are" and "do what you were born to do," I'd have to say that I do think there is something missing from these statements. Without something about God in there, it is easy for these statements to support more egocentric, possibly narcissistic, leanings.

God created us each with our own gifts and personalities. As we grow in Him, those qualities become more true and centered, but ultimately, our focus should be on worshipping God first. If we are trying to hard to find ourselves, I'm afraid that is all we are going to find.
Tara Lamont said…
Mary,

In regards to this...
"As far as the statements "becoming what you are" and "do what you were born to do," I'd have to say that I do think there is something missing from these statements."
I totally agree. In our discussion time I asked what was missing from those statements and most folks said the "in Christ" part.

Living or speaking Christ to the world around us is impossible without the light we are trying to reflect. Just like a crystal in a dark room, you can't see the colors within. It's only when we catch and reflect God's light that our beautiful colors show.

Tara
Anonymous said…
Truly no offense intended, Miss, but that image you've posted is a painting of mine, 'Soli Deo Gloria', taken from my online portfolio, wwww.troyriser.com. The image is copyrighted, and I have explicitly asked that you and others ask for permission before taking any pictures from my site. Given that yours is obviously a spiritually oriented, benign blog, by all means, keep it up. Just remember to ask in the future.
Tara Lamont said…
Troy,
My sincere apologies for overstepping here. It was simply a google image search for "the sun" that led me to your painting - minus your text of copyright requirement. I will do my best to improve my copyright protocol in the future.
TLE

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness