Skip to main content

What if?


About a year ago I was completing an internship at Lutheran Social Services for my pastoral counseling course. My internship involved learning the duties associated with ministering in a nursing and long-term care facility, helping with on-site worship services and visiting residents with various needs and health issues. One of the most challenging aspects of visitation was always keeping to the present.

My mentor carefully chose the residents for me to visit. Some people I had been assigned were quite alert. One lady was quite young and was there to recuperate from a badly broken leg. Several people on my list were recipients of butterfly magnets that were fixed to the metal nameplate on their room doors. The butterfly magnets were given to residents that were in the process of dying. They were presented to the resident in order to give an opportunity for the ministry staff to discuss important spiritual matters concerning rebirth and renewal in heaven.

The butterfly magnets also helped remind those who visited the individuals to be aware that time is precious and limited. The butterfly magnet encouraged the resident, staff and family to cherish the present, to live in the present and to recognize the beauty of what they had – not what they wished they'd accomplished. The butterfly reminds us to cherish not what we wish we had, but what we have right now, in this moment.

One of the most challenging aspects of that internship was to live and help in the moment. To comfort the concern of the individual that was on their heart and mind today, to be aware of the present and not burdened by the past or preoccupied with the "what if's" of the future. This is the goal of ministering to the hearts and minds of people that have not choice other than living in the present moment.

The scripture reading in Matthew speaks to the challenge of living out our lives in the present moment. The church has been looking for the day, the moment that Jesus is going to return. This scripture neither tells us the day or time of his arrival, but it does encourage the church to carry on and be prepared in their present for the promise of Christ's return.

"But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father ….But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour." Matthew 24:36-44"

Madeline L'Engle is one of my favorite authors for many reasons, but one really important thing about her was her ability to persevere in her writing in the midst of great rejection. Her fiction book, "A wrinkle in time." Written between 1959 and 1960 was "a science fiction novel about a group of children who have to rescue their father from a planet where individuality has been outlawed. The book was rejected by 26 different publishers, who all felt that the book was too difficult for children but too fantastic for adults. But when it came out in 1962, the novel won the Newberry Medal, and it sells about 15,000 copies a year. (The Writer's Almanac @ newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org)".


Madeline could have listened to all twenty-six rejecting publishers and put her typewriter away forever. Madeline could have put her book's manuscript away in the closet and decided to chase after another "what if". Madeline had the ability to dig in her heels, send out manuscript after manuscript and expectantly wait for her book – her present effort – to be published. She had no idea who would approve her book or when it would occur, but she carried out her work faithfully until it happened two years later.

Many times my own mind becomes fixed on what project I want to work on next, and how I can make all my dreams and aspirations come to life. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of possibilities and projects, as long as the dreaming of someday doesn’t keep up us from what work we have to do right now.

Sometimes it is easier for me to express my thoughts in a poem or a song than in any other format. The poem I'm about to share with you is my response to the words… "Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour."

What if?

Sometimes my mind spends most of the time replaying, creating and taunting with ideas that worry, ideas that cause scurry, ideas that wander and whine.

Instead of thinking on what isn't sinking.
Instead of pondering what is fine.
Instead of focusing on what is present,
what is pleasant and what is kind.

Sometimes my mind likes to wander to places that are dark and cold.
Taking me to places with unfriendly faces.
The places where defense is gold.

Instead of thinking on what is today.
Instead of cherishing what I hold.
Instead of drawing attention to beauty,
to what is sweet and bold.

Sometimes I think I need to stop and think of things that matter, that last beyond the temporal soil.
Sometimes I know I need to want what I have,
Not what I think should be my goal.

Instead of focusing on wants and what ifs.
Instead of reaching to remotes.
What if I looked at what I have,
what I possess, and present
a treasure to untold?

Copyright T.L. Eastman 2007

_____________________________________________________________________

Madeline L'Engle passed away on September 6th of 2007 and had sixty -two books published in her life of eighty-eight years. Due to her determination and persistence she was able to share her treasure with many readers.

Sometimes we miss the treasure that our lives hold because we're chasing after a something, a someday, a somewhere. What if today you could look into your life and see something precious and wonderful, some treasure that you could share with the world.

We must live life expectantly, persistently, happily and in the moment knowing that we all have butterflies on our doorway. You never know when it will be your time to fly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness