Skip to main content

Thankful openess


During the Christmas season I was asked and asked my friends and family that all time material based question, "What do you want for Christmas?" While it is a joy to receive thoughtful gifts from friends, loved ones and family during this time of year, the number of times that this question is asked makes me wonder, " What are we all searching for?"

Saturday afternoon I had the time and opportunity to go to the movies with my family to see, "National Treasure: Book of Secrets." The premise of the film centers on a family's worldwide treasure hunt to find the historical evidence to clear their recently marred name. The story is filled with adventure, excitement, mystery and a great story line that pulls you in. You join in on the adventure, the mystery and search for the treasure that will make everything good again.

Movies have a way of taking us out of real life, as do holidays – but the scripture in Matthew 2 remind us of the harsh reality of life for Jesus and his family.

Days before - three mysterious Kings come to witness, give gifts, worship and ultimately to warn Jesus' parents of Kings Herod's desire to kill the infant. After the king's visit, an Angel appears to Joseph in a dream and tells him to "Get up and take the child to Egypt", in order to avoid the coming wrath of the jealous King Herod. Joseph, Mary and Jesus leave in the middle of the night and stay in Egypt until they hear further directions from God.

King Herod reacts in anger and violence when he realizes that he was tricked by the Magi and orders all boys two years old and younger to be killed in order to keep the new king from taking over Herod's throne. A great wave of grief and horror fill the mother's hearts in Israel whose children have been killed. It is only after Herod's death that the angel of the Lord gives Joseph the word to return to Israel, where they finally settle in a small town called Nazareth.

The gospel reading in Matthew 2 reminds me of an adventure film with it's travels in the middle of the night, mysterious visiting Kings, Angel messages in dreams and the terrible actions of a power hungry king. However, the reality of loss and death bring this story into the reality and an imperfect and dark world.

The world of Joseph and Mary isn't unlike the world that we live in today. Examples of darkness in our world crowd into our Christmas week like the shooting of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and the bombing that caused the death of 22 others in Pakistan. The news reports of her death came with scenes of mourning and loss on the faces of people in Pakistan. In the midst of this terrible situation, we can connect to the emotion and feeling of loss over people unjustly robbed of their lives. The actions of Herod in Matthew 2 echo the senseless results of violence that we have all witnessed in the past week. In this time where innocents are lost the treasure of the world – Jesus – remains waiting for the right time to make himself known.

While the world waited, Mary and Joseph remained thankfully open to the direction and leading of God. They too must have felt the loss and grief of Israel when they looked at their safe toddler, but they held on to the promise and waited for direction.

In all of the details of this dramatic story, I find myself drawn to the thankful openness of Joseph and Mary. In their hearts Mary and Joseph probably dreamed of going home, settling down and creating a stable home for their new family and return to "normal" life. Being chosen as the parents of God's only son required that they put aside their plans for the future and wait upon God for direction. It was their dependence upon God that kept them in the most challenging, but most secure place they could live. Their lives depended upon the thankful openness that they maintained with God. This kind of openness was evidence in their willingness to listen to angels, pick up in the middle of the night and travel to unfamiliar lands and carry on even in the midst of great grief over Israel's loss. God entrusted his son to a couple that truly understood what was needed: thankful openness and relationship with himself, God.

Ultimately, we all will move past the holiday season and put away our decorations, eat all our cookies and treats, and begin the process of moving back to the day to day reality of real life. So in the midst of every day life, what is it that you truly need? The question that we all need to ask is not, " What do I want for Christmas", but "What do I need from God in my daily life?"

God is with us on the treasure hunt and is willing to give us the clues to take the next step on our journey with Him. We find what we are truly looking for when we live a life in thankful openness to God. The true adventure begins when we invite God into our real life.

Real life logo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness