Skip to main content

Coffee Talk: Travel, renewal and resurrection



It could be all my focus has been on the story of Lazarus lately or it could be that lent and all it's metaphors of desert and water are taking front seat in my minds eye. I feel as it I'm moving towards something that I've missed and needed. I'm traveling.

The last month has been filled with many challenges, surprises, joys and celebrations. My husband has just completed his Masters in Spiritual Formation, I have one last paper to write and my BA program will be complete. I've also experienced people challenging my faith as well as people supporting my beliefs and efforts. It has been a great encouragement to have people inquiring on how to help and participate in my work by providing support and resources to make training possibilities actual realities. My hope and experience with my surrounding humanity has been a bit of a mixed bag of experience, emotion and expectation. In the midst of all this 'mix', I find that I've been traveling through renewal towards resurrection in a time that seems so appropriate: lent.

Travel:

The journey to get to all my journeying actually seemed to be the greatest challenge when the financial shortfall made attending a conference for my work an impossibility.
After some encouragement from a cooperative ministry partner (thanks Karen!) who is experienced in the art of fund-raising, I took some out-of-comfort-zone risks and asked friends, family, and local community to aid me in raising funds to attend a Conversational Evangelism Conference in Menlo Park, California. After a few weeks of email, phone conversations and coffee chats, the funds had been raised, housing and transportation had been creatively and kindly (thanks Betty!) provided and I was registered for my flight and conference!

The primary catalyst for my travel was attending a conference in Southern California concerning the topic and responsibility of sharing faith with people in understandable and authentic ways. At the conference, there were lots of methods and outreach possibilities presented but the message that resounded with me the most was, "Holy Conversations- Talking about God in everyday life.", by Richard Peace. So many times, churches try to tackle the responsibility of outreach or evangelism in corporate ways and become frustrated by the unpredictable and sometimes non-visible spiritual growth of the people they are trying to serve. Thankfully," More and more Christians are realizing that what people outside the faith need is not (A.) A sales pitch, (B.)an argument, (C.) a sermon or (D.)an information dump. Instead, they need caring, thoughtful conversation partners." ( McLaren/Peace,Holy Conversations) Spiritual formation does not occur in a vacuum, a compressed green house or a corporate plan or program. Spiritual formation is a relational, unpredictable and spiritual process.





In the break out sessions led by Richard Peace, time and time again he reminded the group that, " Everybody is on a spiritual pilgrimage. Everybody. Even the person who curses God. True they may be going in the wrong direction ( away from God.) but they still are on a spiritual journey. They can't help it. This is the way God made us - with a nature that is meant to be in touch with the supernatural." (Peace, pg 27)
We all are on a journey. This theme of journey continues to call my heart further and farther along the path set out before me.





Renewal:

The warm breezes and sunshine of Northern California repeated a sense of renewal that had been percolating in my spirit. The affirmation of Peace's conversation on journey sharing resonated in the way that my family, friends and community aided in my own journey of faith in trusting for God to provide the resources necessary for my physical travels. How interesting that a physical journey was provided for out of conversations that led to my own spiritual progress? God sincerely understands the needs in my life: both the physical and spiritual ones. All this provision makes me wonder. What leg of the journey is next?




Resurrection:

As I take steps this spring to allow my exterior layers to be peeled away in order to reveal the resurrected me, what will this metamorphosis expose? I know I have to grow in so many ways. In my disciplines, in becoming less attached to material things, in my fears and frustrations. I desire in the most unemotional and non-flighty way to become more like Jesus. I want my journey to draw me closer, ever closer to God and further from what would so easily entangle and delay my journey. Help me God to hear you clearer than ever before - I don't want to wander, even though I am prone to do just that. Help me to value the step of each day and not to waste time pacing in directions that only wear a rut in my soul. Resurrect the person that you see and create someone who is ready for the journey, the challenge and the calling. Bring me to life and life to the full!




Let's keep the conversation going. Today is the journey.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tara,

This is a great post, I think, your best yet! Love ya'

Banu.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness