Skip to main content

Sunny and rainy day friends



There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another.
There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances.

Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!"

This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing.

On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work for the benefit of others, and sacrificially care for the needs of another person. Just like the relationship expressed in this real-life account of Jackie Robinson.

In his first seasons with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play Major League baseball, faced venom nearly everywhere he traveled--fastballs at his head, spiking on the bases, brutal epithets from the opposing dugouts and from the crowds. During one game in Boston, the taunts and racial slurs seemed to reach a peak. In the midst of this, another Dodger, a Southern white named Pee Wee Reese, called timeout. He walked from his position at shortstop toward Robinson at second base, put his arm around Robinson's shoulder, and stood there with him for what seemed like a long time. The gesture spoke more eloquently than the words: This man is my friend.


Rainy day friends are the ones who listen to us when life is difficult, and remain faithful in friendship and relationship when the rest of the world turns their back to us. The scriptures give us some excellent examples of sincere friendship, but God's desire to connect with humanity is beautifully expressed by the account of Abraham and God in Genesis 18 and Jesus and humanity in John 15.

Abraham and God

The LORD Promises Abraham a Son (RSV)
1One hot summer afternoon Abraham was sitting by the entrance to his tent near the sacred trees of Mamre, when the LORD appeared to him. 2Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. He quickly ran to meet them, bowed with his face to the ground, 3and said, "Please come to my home where I can serve you. 4I'll have some water brought, so you can wash your feet, then you can rest under the tree. 5Let me get you some food to give you strength before you leave. I would be honored to serve you."
"Thank you very much," they answered. "We accept your offer."


Here is a picture of God (in the form of the complete trinity), coming to have a meal and spend time with Abraham. Abraham has been called God's friend.

James 2:23 23 and the scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness"; and he was called the friend of God. (RSV)


Abraham's relationship with God mirrors God's desire to be in close relationship with all of his children. This relationship was not only available to Abraham, but it is available to all of us today. Is God: Creator, redeemer and comforter - your friend like Abraham experienced?

Jesus and humanity


11-15"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father."


We find in this section of scripture that God's intention all along was to be our very best rainy day friend. Jesus not only speaks of the value of sincere friendship, but also exemplifies it by the risk, challenge and sacrifice of his actions.

John 15:13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (RSV)

God allowed Jesus to sacrifice himself for humanity to have the opportunity to become friends of God. God is purposefully reaching out to us in his actions and words.

God introduced himself to Abraham in Genesis over a meal and conversation, Jesus created a roadway to God by his ministry and ultimate sacrifice described in the gospels and the Holy Spirit continually supports, promotes and provides the basis necessary to build relationship with God. (Ephesians 2:17-19) (NIV)

Barriers in relationships

Sometimes we encounter obstacles in friendships. If you think back to Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee, what kind of obstacles could have caused delay or barrier in the growth of their relationship? How about Abraham and God? What even could have become a blockade for Jesus in his befriending of humanity? The barrier can be racism, fear, disbelief, failure to trust, selfishness, disappointment or argument. Thankfully, Pee Wee, God and Jesus did not allow the potential barriers to keep them from pursuing and committing themselves to people in sincere friendship. The question is: 'are we living in relationship – true friendship with God – or are we allowing barriers to get in the way?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Reflect today on the condition of your relationships. We can choose to bring the barriers out into the light of God's perspective or we can choose to remain by ourselves. Sincere friendship is precious, rare and risky.
Friendship requires: Agreement, loyalty, dependability, support, and sacrifice.

God follows through and is the most sincere friend a person could ever have. Will you be God's friend? Will you be a friend to the friendless? We have the opportunity to receive a gift of relationship with God as well as the responsibility to share that with the world around us. God is and always be our best rainy day friend, lets brave the storms of life together knowing that the Creator, redeemer and Comforter is holding us close saying, "I love you!", "We're going to make it!" and "I'll do anything to get you back home safe and sound."(from -Rain: Nooma)

God does more than talk about sincere friendship. God is the sincere friend. God was willing to seek after and meet with Abraham and through Jesus' work on the cross – God still seeks to be friends with us. God is waiting. Will you be God's friend no matter the circumstances? Sunny days are beautiful, but real friendship is tested in the storms of life. God is waiting – will you choose to be his friend?

Comments

Tresa said…
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. I googled the meaning of "rainy day friend" and that's how I found you. I recently had to come to terms about 2 sunny-day-friends in my life and you helped. Thank you!
Tara Lamont said…
Tresa,
So happy to have been an encouragement.
Here's to more all-weather friends.
T
Dean said…
Being a rainy day friend I sacrificed myself for a sunny day friend. . After the storm passed my sunny day friend walked out of my life. .

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness