Skip to main content

Is chalk writing a crime?



Over the last year or so a group of Buffalo Christians, coined Relevant Worship Ministries, have been taking steps to go beyond the comfort zones of their churches and reach out in love to the people in the city of Buffalo.



This summer, they've been participating in "Chalk Thursdays at the Square". The idea is simple and beautiful. You come downtown, you write and draw on the sidewalk, you make friends with the people hanging out there and over time you build friendships, offer help and support where you can, and try to follow through with loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

After checking out the weekly photos and group news on Facebook, I decided to take a field trip with Heather and Heidi to help out and learn more about this city outreach.



We all met around 7 pm at Liberty Square. There were tons of people there as they have concerts downtown every Thursday evening. There were various organized groups all along Main Street. Some were protesting the war in Iraq, some were promoting abstinence from alcohol, some were there to directly confront people on religious issues (with matching shirts, signs and tracks), and then there was Relevant - with hope, desire to love on the people we met, and buckets of chalk.



We said our hellos to the group members as they began to gather. The chalk drawing was started by a little girl of one of the mom's who came to help. Heather, Heidi and I gradually picked up some chalk and began to draw and write.



It was interesting to see that the chalk writers had already built relationships with some of the people downtown. Kids and teens ran up to them, hugging and saying - "The chalk people are here!" They joined in the fun and helped create a community coloring book on the streets of Buffalo. Introductions were made, names were learned and love was being shared.



About forty minutes into our chalking, a city policeman pulled up the street and parked about half-way between our drawing zone. I remember looking up for a moment and going back to my drawing, assuming that he was just checking out the security of the area.



While I was busy drawing, one of my fellow chalk artists shouted, "Hey, he's going to ticket us!" I looked up to see the police officer collect the chalk from the group on the far end of the area that we'd been drawing and tell them to cease, desist, and disburse. I quickly finished my thought I'd been working on in the sidewalk and went down to collect chalk from Heather and Heidi so they wouldn't get in trouble.

The officer walk a little towards our direction and told us that as of Thursday it was illegal to write on city sidewalks in chalk.



We all stood around shocked for about ten minutes, wondering what we can do next now that our chalk was locked in the back seat of the police car, when a girl came up to me and asked, "Hey are you the Hope Love Lady?" I looked puzzled for a moment and said, "Oh, you mean what I was writing?" She smiled and said,"Yeah, here's your chalk back!" and walked away.



In all of the noise, drama and potential messages that this teenage girl could have remembered about Thursday at the square, she returned the chalk to me and held on to the words: "Hope and Love".

I wish that we could have had more time to learn her name and to talk about the person Jesus that gives me love and hope everyday. Even in our short exchange, she taught me that even when you're stopped doing something as innocent as sidewalk chalk by the police, the message of love, hope, and even faith is more impressive than all the drama in Liberty Square on a Thursday night in Buffalo.

By the way, Relevant Worship Ministries is not stopping their outreach to the community of folks in Liberty Square on Thursdays. They may not be allowed to bring sidewalk chalk, but being there for the community is what is more important. You never know Buffalo, next Thursday it might be bubbles they're sharing!

Comments

Anonymous said…
thats awesome..... i loved your view on it, i hope you come next week to=) with our bubbles:)
Sarah Louise said…
Truth IS stranger than fiction! Thanks for sharing this story.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness