Skip to main content

Late with the bread - time to suenllo

Somehow, someway I'll begin to figure out my new schedule and pattern of life so the Monday bread isn't Tuesday or Wednesday before it's done baking, but there was so much in the last two days that I might have failed to mention had I not been delayed in the bread delivery.



John Kozal's (public education reformer from 1960's to present) lecture at the University of Buffalo on Friday reminded me of the importance of fostering beauty and aesthetics in the world. Especially in the world of children who rarely experience it. In an educational system that often teaches to the test, many children are losing or have long ago lost the opportunities to expand their current horizons with access and experience with art, music, and theater. I'm all at once burdened with the overwhelming need of children in our country for positive creative outlets and spurred on to personally continue to be a supporter of the arts in my local schools and community by expressing their necessity. John's words of challenge reminded me of my own early connection with arts as a child. My own discovery process began in the primary school days when I had teachers who had the freedom and resources to teach a variety of subjects to help us prepare for life - and not an exam at the end of the term. Connections started then, serve me daily now. What if I had never had the opportunity or contact to the teachers that flinted my earliest shades of creativity? I would be a dark heart. I don't want that to be the case for the children of my community.
The abandonment of hope, especially in or for children, drains me of life. Being their advocate for opportunity is the best way to refuel.



Saturday and Sunday were a blur - the wedding was beautiful. The bride and groom were gracious and happy, the hall was full of friends and family and communion was shared with everyone. Helping my daughter and her best friend with hair and makeup for the fall homecoming dance was great girl time - I was honored that they asked me to help them. Worship on Sunday was full of music and excitement for the near future as I was announced to the congregation as the Director of family and youth ministry. I all felt like an new beginning. This new ministry is an opportunity to grow as well as share some things I've learned along the way. It will be an adventure.
Weddings, new beginnings and challenges - this stirs up the life in me.

Art projects are everywhere in my house - ones for this school or that, ones that pop into my mind while I'm working on planning for another. It's like a tap that keeps dripping - plop, plop, plop - even though you thought you'd turned it all the way off. I made a tree pattern for Ian's media board. Something to evoke a peaceful, strong, and supportive feeling when you look at it. I hope it speaks to those who are looking for all of those things: peace, strength and support. The image not only spoke to me when I was done, my daughter now would like a mural on her bedroom walls including the "strong tree". Like I said, projects are everywhere in my house!
If I rest in the fact that these projects will arrive in their own time and way, I can relax and enjoy the process and be surprised by the outcome when they are ready.



Farewell Albert. He was a gentle, kind, forgiving, patient and truly a person who achieved the goal set for followers of God in the book of Micah 6:8 - "But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God." I keep having overflowing memories from the 2 1/2 years we worked and served together in ministry in Warren - you loved my Buick Skylark, taught me how to make funnel cakes at the fair booth, would have soup with me at lunch, and loved reading Lois L'Amour paperbacks while waiting for people to come into the food pantry for their orders.
Albert, I will miss you. Your departure leaves me lonely, but your restoration in heaven makes me so happy. Read a few good paperbacks till I see you again.

Teaching varied groups of children art is one small way I feel it is possible to help make the creative connections for some of the folks that Mr. Kozal spoke of. Some days are tough - not knowing the names of all the kids, feeling a little unsure of where you need to be when and what you need to be teaching who - that does put me a little off balance sometimes. Then there are the days that things really click. Were i share a little knowledge and the students teach me something in return. They always seem to teach me so much. Today I asked a group to take the concept of a "dream" and create a collage of varied papers and drawing tools that represented it. I learned that these students are proud of who they are, they have many dreams for their future and they are willing to accept a new teacher like me into their lives.
There hope and promise of life filled my heart up to the brim - they are my, Suenllo (dream) come true.


That is enough bread for now. Until later, sweet dreams.

Comments

Unknown said…
You've got so much going on!

It is interesting to hear your thinking right now on the arts and education.

One interesting thing is that arts, integrated into the standard curriculumm, would bring scores up, not detract. In addition to the creative benefits, there is an academic one.

Thanks for sharing. It's never too late to bake a good loaf of bread!
Tara Lamont said…
I agree arts need to continue to be integrated into the education system - its just become more clear to me that so many kids don't have it available to them at all.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness