Skip to main content

God echoes, "I love you."


Image from SamanthaKrieger.com

I've been reading and interesting book written by Margaret Feinberg called "The Sacred Echo". The sub title of the book is, 'Hearing God's voice in every area of your life'. Here is a picture of Margaret and the cover of the book.



So may times when I pray, I find myself struggling to focus on what I'm praying about due to the many things that pop into my mind. Things like grocery lists, calls to make, shelves to dust and many other various 'to do's' often time succeed in distracting me from my intended purpose, praying.

Margaret's words have a way of comforting and challenging the prayfully distracted individual. She confirms that I'm not the only person on the planet that struggles in focusing on prayer and offers some helpful advice in working out the distractions.

Today I had the opportunity to share some conversation and prayer with some high school students and we spent most of the time talking about the parable of the prodigal son. We talked about who in the parable we most identified with, who we would like to be in the parable and who we actually most resemble. In the end of the discussion, we spent time focusing on the greatness of the father's love for his sons, even the prodigal one. I think our perspective on God greatly effects how we approach prayer and conversations with God. If we perceive an angry or critical God, we will respond and communicate in and out of fear. Last time I checked, fear isn't a good motivator in relationships.

So if we can begin to see God as the 'father' character in the parable of the prodigal son, I think our approach to prayer would begin to change. If we better understood that the father loved the son when he rebelled, when he was tending pigs, when he decided to come home and even when he first walked away; I think we might be better able to take steps to speaking to this God of love via our prayers.

Margaret talks a great deal about paying better attention to God and the way he tries to speak into our lives and refers to them as, echos. The following is a great explanation of God's echos and this truth of God's great love for us.

"When God echos I love you, it's not a slice of information but a feast of transformation. I am invited to experience the fullness of God's love in my life, heart and spirit. The holy metamorphosis is desinged to ring so genuine and true that others can't help but notice. When I love you is alive in my heart, I become freer to love others. When I love you is alive in my mind, I become better at expressing that love. When I love you is alive in my life, I become a smidgen closer to being who God has called and created me to be."
(The sacred echo, pg 38)


If we can receive God's love, then we will be able to share it through the words and actions in our lives. We need to really understand God's great love for us, before we can replicate it in our world. How greatly though the world needs to truly experience love in a sincere and selfless way, just like the prodigal son did.

The words, "I love you", can make a great impact on us and the world around us. Our actions even more so. Maybe today, love's echo will meet a new set of ears, and make all the difference in the world.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you. Beautifully put.
Tara Lamont said…
Your welcome Libby, thank you for reading.
Mel said…
I've gotten better at looking to see where G-d is present...but the listening jazz--definitely needs more practice.

I do agree that the more centered I am in Him, the more effective I am....and the more comfortable I am in just letting it look how it is.

Well written and well received. Thank you.
Tara Lamont said…
I'm so still working on the listening too. You may want to consider reading Sacred Echo. The author has a great way of breaking down the things that commonly stall my prayer life and spiritual growth.
Anonymous said…
1. i think i need to read this book. i actually had it on reserve at the library for months, by the time it came through i had accumulated others and so i passed on it. i am putting it back on the list tonight. i want to review her other one soon.
2. i didn't know it was NaBloPoMo or i might have tried it. i'm 8 for 14 in Feb so far. i go in spurts, between my two blogs though i just realized i'm 11 for 14 this month. hm, i just looked up the site and i see it's a monthly thing - cool!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness