Skip to main content

Page 5! Thank you Chautauqa Region Word!



Last week I mentioned that something I'd written was going to be printed in a local publication. Yesterday while waiting for my son to take his guitar lesson I looked and saw that the Chautauqua Region Word was already printed for the week and was titled, "Local Fiction Spotlight".

There it was, on page 5, right in the middle of two other pieces by local writers. Mr. Squirrel and me.

It may not be War and Peace, (it's a short essay, non-fiction to be exact.) but I was proud to have some of my writing in the local arts paper. Below is the segment that I submitted, and if you go to the link I provided by clicking on Chautauqua Region Word, you can find it and the others segments as well. Happy reading and writing! Also, thanks to the editors and supporters of the Word for including my work in this weeks issue.

Peace.



Photo found at Photo.net


Mr. Squirrel lives in the maple tree at the back of my yard. He really lives in multiple trees as the branches are so far reaching that they touch the branches of the neighbor's maple across the street. Mr. Squirrel spends most of his time leaping from limb to limb and scurrying away whenever he hears a noise that frightens him. Mr. Squirrel rarely looks beneath him to see what is going on at ground level. I think he's to easily frightened to ever look down and take everything in.

This morning as I was brushing off the cars to prepare for taking the kids to school and heading off to work, it was early enough to be able to hear the stillness of morning. There was a blanket of fresh snowy sparkling everywhere. The wind was blowing glittering waves of swirling snow across the yard and down the street. There seemed to be a fresh, beautiful stillness everywhere I looked. There was so much to see that I even looked above me to look at the snow covered trees only to see Mr. Squirrel sitting quietly and looking calmly back at me. After a moment, Mr. Squirrel chirped at me as if to say, "Hey did you see all this?" and then scampered away across the glistening branches.

There was something in the morning air this morning that caused me and Mr. Squirrel to pause and really see and hear all the beauty that surrounded us. So often, it's easier to look and see the ugly, needful or wanting things of life, but this morning Mr.Squirrel and I enjoyed a few minutes of frosty beauty as far as our eyes could see and our ears could hear.

Maybe today is one that is filled with uncertainty, loss or struggle for you. For me it is a day of sadness as a late call last night let me know that my Aunt Carol passed away after her battle with cancer. Somehow though, even in the struggle and the sadness - there is beauty all around. We only need to have the eyes to see and the ears to hear the calming call to simply be still long enough to experience it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Tara, on having your essay published!
Anonymous said…
Congrats, and I finally had time to read this (it was worth more than the usual quick blog reading). Very nice!!
Mel said…
Well done!!
And well received.

Seemore and Seeless Squirrel live in the high branches of the neighboring trees, visiting us willy-nilly, as they desire. We leave corn for their fancy--though they fancy the cardinal's food instead.
When they stop long enough to chat, it's always to remind me of free will--and my narrow perception of what's what. Me and my rigid thinking.
After all--squirrel food is squirrel food, right?

;-)
I think I like Mr. Squirrel.
I know I liked reading his message.

Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness