Skip to main content

Pondering the Jesus Creed



Last week an online group of friends and acquaintances decided to try reading and discussing the book,'40 Days Living the Jesus Creed' by Scott McKnight. Once a week, I will try to post some of the thoughts and reflections I've stumbled upon, so feel free to comment, challenge and help me work through this process. The basic premise of the 'Jesus Creed' is...
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength. And love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:30-31

What do you think of this creed? Do you think there are people that actually live this way? Would you or wouldn't you consider living by this creed?
---------------------------------------------------------------

The Most Important Commandment:

"Hear, O Israel; The Lord or God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might." Deut. 6:4-5

Repeating a prayer, creed or being consistent in any of the many prayer practices has always been a challenge to me. In fact, the first chapter of the Jesus Creed got me thinking and feeling the challenge of consistency. That aside, though I feel that having been given permission to dwell on this creed for the next 40 days or so is doable. I think perhaps after I get over the consistency issue, I feel as if I can relax as this is not a test I'm cramming for, but a practice that I am to live and breathe into on a daily basis. I could really use some spiritual breathing room right now.

Loving God:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength." Mark 12:30

I've always been drawn to practices that address the holistic needs of each person. It's not just my mind, but my heart and soul and strength that needs to be supported, challenged and given over to God. Breaking down each aspect was important for me as I think most in terms of this and that. Slowing down to focus on one aspect at a time made me consider the greatness of God's love for us. All those areas, all those lives - God cares about each and every corner of each and every one of us, and continues to love us. Imagining love like this is like be caught up in a wave when body surfing; it turns everything you thought you knew upside down and inside out and almost drowns you in its depth and power.

As I look at each piece of this prayer, I feel like it is allowing me to wade into the depth of God's love without being washed away by it.

Loving Others:

"You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Once someone suggested to me that this sentence should end with, ...as Jesus loved." Somehow, I think the reason it isn't written that way is because that would seem impossible to even attempt. Yes Jesus example of loving humanity was impeccable, but daunting. By ending this command with the words, "...as yourself.", the reader is immediately drawn into the story. People come to mind, the way we treated a friend comes to our memory and we see room for improvement knowing that love is what brought us to this place to begin with. Yes may I love like Jesus, but may I love and reach out in a way that is unique to my circumstances, geography, and gifts. We all have a unique story to tell.


Facing God:


"Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7b-8

The words here really struck me.
'The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace."

I think about the face of God, the warmth expressed in this blessing and find myself wishing I could paint this amazing picture.

How often my reactions to others are not based in love and I'm greatly challenged by that fact. Yet in this blessing I sense there is room the God's gracious love to better learn how to live this love out a little more each day. I feel that resting in God requires us to say,

"Wow, I'm not living in love in this area. God will you shine yourself in this space so that I better see what change or difference you desire. Shine your spotlight over here, so the darkness of brushing it off or away isn't a temptation for me. Help me not to fear your light reaching into my darkest corners."

Pondering the more important commandment carried me through the first week of reading, "Living the Jesus Creed" by Scott McKnight. I even asked my kids in Sunday School this week what they thought the greatest commandment was. They shouted out: prayer, communion, and reading the Bible before they settled on love. Love seems to be the instinctual response, but sometimes wanting the 'correct' answer pushes us away from our instincts. I think the Jesus Creed is instinct, one we may have pushed off into a corner under all our do and don't lists, but instinct none the less.

I hope through this 40 day process I can begin to seek out this instinct in my own heart, dust it off, and allow it to be the hook I hang my heart, soul, mind and strength on for good.

Comments

Mel said…
"Hear, O Israel; The Lord or God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might." Deut. 6:4-5

The rest...comes out of that.

But that's just me....
Tara Lamont said…
Yes Mel - I think this is the beginning and the end of all of it for me too. It's the processing of something so completely holistic that takes the rest of my life to figure out...
and that is ok.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness