Skip to main content

SWB: Lists


There are many days I never take the time to sit down and write a "to-do list", usually because I feel to busy to write it all down. Lists, like I said, are not ones I always take the time to write. Somehow, though when I do write them - I seem to spend less time feeling frantic and wondering - "What did I forget?" Somehow, on Monday I arrived at my day off with only a few obligations and had some time to do some much needed shopping for an upcoming trip to New Orleans and for my son's summer camp week.

The night before, I'd cleared off the kitchen counter and sorted the mail and found several things that needed to be attended to - so as I got ready for bed, I began to make a mental list of what had to happen in the morning so I could get all I needed done, well, done.
Check.

As I got up the next day I found my papers, wrote some checks, filled out some forms, sealed papers into the envelopes, and laid them on the counter to be mailed on my way to go shopping.
Check.

I had wanted to make a list of what I needed, but in my hurry I remembered the list from the camp itself and took it with me before I headed out the door. Before I entered the first store, I took a moment and wrote down some items that were not on the camp list. Then I searched and found the items I was looking for in not one, not two, but three different department stores before I wrapped up my hunting and gathering for the day.
Check.


At work, I've had two lists sitting on my desk for the last month. One is for overall youth work and the other a word document entitled as "Countdown to New Orleans!" Day by day and week by week, I've had the satisfaction of taking a thick black sharpie and crossing items off both these lists. One by one, I feel myself feeling calmer with each sharpie swipe.
Check.

I've been thinking on a larger scale of my life's lists. Like: what do I want to accomplish or enjoy this summer, what I'd like to do before I turn you-know-what in a year and a half, and so on.

I wonder what life, mine and yours, would look and feel and be, if only we took the time to truly know what we needed, write it down and live in a way to gather what we desire. There is so much more to this than making lists of things. The kind of listing I'm describing is the act of being more aware of one's life and the various physical, spiritual and mental needs we would find there. I think I may call it - a Holistic list - for starters.
Check.

In the last month, I've had to deal with some list items that I'd been putting off, out of my fear that there was no way to deal with them. On the other side of scratching these nagging items away, I'm feeling calmer and know its better, I'm better for having dealt with these items.
Check.

There are all kinds of lists: Work lists, packing lists, to do lists, what I want to do this summer lists... but this holistic list is one that has space for all aspects of life. A holistic list is one that can show you where you are, and where you really want to go.
Check.

That kind of calm direction is the kind of bread this baker could have much, much more of. Check, check, check.....

Peace.

Comments

Mel said…
But lists are good things for me. If I try to keep the list in this little brain, it gets huge and overwhelming. Somehow pulling it out of the brain and putting it to paper, gets it right sized, yaknow?

I do need to check more things off the lists though. *sigh*

What a little procrastinator. LOL Patio sitting sounds much more inviting....

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness