Skip to main content

Juggling all three: Nourishment, body and spirit


Exercise, eating right and the spiritual discipline of prayer and scripture reading.

Why is it so difficult to balance all three of these positive life assets? I can manage to juggle up to two of these things fairly well, but add a third and SPLAT - the whole effort can go down the tubes like dropping hand-tossed-over-ripe tomatoes!

In the early spring of 2008 I came to the place were I knew I needed to make some changes in my life to allow for more physical activity or asthma was going to take my life over. At least that is the way I felt at the time.

Over the last year and a half, I’ve managed to add exercise at first 3xs a week and now I’m up to about 5xs a week. In May of this year, I rethought how and what I'd been eating and have been relatively faithful in eating much better than I had been in the past.

Yesterday as I jogged 2 miles without stopping, I remembered that day in late February 08 when it was all I could do to catch my breath after running only a few minutes to catch a train… and realized that a year and half later I’ve become stronger, healthier and about 25 lbs. lighter than when I started. Progress is good to see, but it sometimes takes a while to see it. Epically when you see ads that promise to help a person loose a size in a week. That is so unreal. Real is putting on the shoes and heading out the door for a year and a half and beyond.

A Sleeping with Bread buddy, Unfinished Person, posted this scripture on Monday and it seems to be a perfect fit for my current state of life.

“It is not that I have already taken hold of it or have already attained perfect maturity, but I continue my pursuit in hope that I may possess it, since I have indeed been taken possession of by Christ [Jesus]. Brothers, I for my part do not consider myself to have taken possession. Just one thing: forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit toward the goal, the prize of God’s upward calling, in Christ Jesus. Let us, then, who are “perfectly mature” adopt this attitude, and if you have a different attitude, this too God will reveal to you. Only, with regard to what we have attained, continue on the same course."
Philippians 4:12-16


Now that I’m moving and eating better again, I need to add consistent prayer and devotions. Why is it so hard to balance those three at the same time? I've had consistent times of actively engaging in spiritual disciplines, but sometimes I seem to be moving too fast, or too much to arrive at the place to recognize that I've got to take the time or even recognize that the day has passed and I've missed the opportunity.

How about you, have you been challenged to balance the physical and the spiritual necessities in life? I once heard someone refer to this imbalance between the physical discipline and the spiritual as spiritual anorexia. That is something I don't want to be...strong in the body and starving in the spirit.

What kind of suggestions would you have to someone fidgety like me to allow and build some spiritual reflection time into life? I think it's time for a spiritual meal, or a snack at least.

Maybe what I need to remember is part of the scripture above, "...I continue my pursuit toward the goal...", and to keep working on my juggling skills in the meantime.

Comments

Mel said…
Spiritual anorexia is a good term.

And I like what you shared here--even if I didn't like it...especially if I didn't like it. (that just means "pay attention Mel!!")

I guess my answer is 'discipline'. I sucked at it. It's something you've learned with running and exercising. And you've been successful when you've persevered.

It's that same discipline I had to apply to spiritual exercises--even when I didn't 'feel like it', even when things 'were getting in the way', even when I didn't see/feel the value in it.

Same principles--discipline.....perseverence...

I won't say I have it down perfectly, cuz I don't.... but it's 'real', yaknow?
Tara Lamont said…
I know that I don't "like" the discipline either - I'd often rather fly by the seat of my pants..but my spirit is more important than my sometimes willy nilly attitude offers. So back to the drawing board in this area of my life. One day, one moment at a time, I'm learning the great importance the discipline of feeding my spirit provides. Peace to your spirit too!
Anonymous said…
I agree with Mel. Discipline is the key, especially with the spiritual, setting aside a specific time of the day, morning and evening, to pray. That has worked for me the best.

I think it is the same for the physical. Unfortunately, I still haven't found that balance, but I'm still continuing my pursuit toward that goal. :)

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness