Skip to main content

The ripples of courage are calling

As I floated in circles in a pool of stilled water, I occasionally tapped the water's surface noticing a relay of ripples reflecting in the shadow and light of a sunny day. One finger at a time pressed the surface of the water sending repeated ripples bouncing against the edges of the pool. Even the gentlest impact on the water's surface caused the water to change and move. Each action caused an unaccountable reaction on the water's surface that not too long before my presence, had been as still as glass.

This moment of observing ripples reminded me about an entry in my journal as I was flying 35,000 feet over the expanse of water between Tampa Florida and the New Orleans airport, on my final flight before arriving for the ELCA Youth Gathering.


"All I can see is blue sky and blue water. There is not break or difference in it's shade or depth - at least from where I can see. All this blueness reminds me of the account of creation in Genesis. "...the earth was formless and void...and then, God's spirit moved across the face of the water." So I ask myself, what is God stirring within me as I head out on this adventure?"


On July 21 - 26, Ian, Will, Scott, Nate, Phillip, Heather, Hannah, Becca and I attended the ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans with about 38,000 collective Lutheran youth and their leaders. There were so many ripples created in that week in New Orleans. All week long, I kept asking God the same question. "What are you trying to stir up in me?"

The people of New Orleans were eager to tell us stories of Katrina and how they not only survived its effects, but are continuing to work to this day to restore New Orleans and its people to a place of repair and wholeness. It was our honor and privilege as a group to help bring some wholeness to this city as part of our time there included a day of service.

In the three days of consecutive service at the conference all 38,000 people were assigned to work with over two hundred local organizations to further assist in recovery efforts post Katrina. Our group spent our work day at Fountaineblue St. Park, where we cleared the thick undergrowth to allow for regrowth of the sixty thousand trees that have been planted in order to restore the natural canopy of protection from hurricanes in the future. It was very hot, sweaty and challenging work. We were told to shake the shrubs we we cutting down, because it would give the brown snakes a warning of our presence. I remember thinking, "Isn't it me who needs a warning that THEY are here?" Remembering my prayer in the airplane as I arrived in Louisanna, I picked up by hand saw, shook some branches, avoided the ample poison ivy, and wandered a little ways up the path and into the near bayou and cut down the shrubs that were preventing the new trees to grow. At the end of the day, I saw no snakes and had helped to clear a visible section of wood. As I pondered the question, "What are you stirring in me?" I almost heard God almost respond, "The courage to move off the known trail an into the wild places I call you."

By the end of the service days at the conference, 38,000 people had accomplished in three days what would have taken one person ninety-eight years to do. Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished in the name of God when his people are willing to get at the root and be the wake of change? It is my hope that the 38,000 people who worked on all those service projects, will continue to make ripples of good as they've returned back home.

All week the message of making good ripples in the world were repeated by many speakers. The St. Bernard Project has helped two hundred twenty families made homeless by hurricane Katrina rebuild and return to a home to start again. Mark Craig from Free the Children, who works to help free children forced into fighting in the civil wars of Sierra Leon, call us to come together - work together - for the collective good of all the children in the world. Dr. Viola Vaughn was drawn to help young girls in Senegal who were failing in school, when one little girl came to her asking her to help her learn. That one girl led to three, three led to twenty, twenty led to one hundred; until today where Dr. Vaughn has helped ten thousand girls graduate from school in a place where very few usually make it past primary school. 10,000 girls, now and official non-profit organization continues to not only keep girls in school. We also help them develop as career professionals, as entrepreneurs. Each one of these examples started with one person, who had the courage to race after the ripples God placed in their lives.

Again and again in my time in New Orleans, I heard the message and challenge to live my life in a way that would serve God and the people around me. This message was especially profound as before I left for the trip I read Micah 6:8 and was stirred by it's words.

"What is it that the Lord asks of you?...To do justice, to seek mercy and to walk humbly with God."

All that week, Micah 6:8 popped up in conversation, in action and intent. Working for justice and mercy is not an easy task, but if I have the courage to seek after and work for them the ripples of that work could quite possibly reach out to every corner of the world. I know that I was changed by the ripples of New Orleans and I pray that those ripples continue to work for justice, mercy and God here at home as well.

My questions to God that week in New Orleans were, "What are the ripples your are stirring in my heart?","What are the boundaries that You are calling me to cross?","Where are the snake and poison ivy filled places that you are asking me to clear?","Who are the people I'm being asked to care for?" and "What work do you need me to do?".

Sometimes the formless and void parts of me resist the ripples of change, but even the most void parts of me can be renewed with God presence of creation. I know, I have been called to justice, to mercy and to God. Guess what? You are called too!

May the ripples of God moving in your life help you and I take courage and know that:

We are changed by God's love.
We are sent by God in peace
and with God we will never be the same -
wherever the ripples of life take us.





There were so many inspiring organizations that were represented at the ELCA Youth Gathering. Here are a few more links to some of the amazing people and groups that continue to chase after God's ripples in the world.

The St. Bernard Project
Back on my Feet
Me to We
10000 Girls
Free the Children
Mentoring Project
Thistle Farms
Revolution Church
The ELCA Youth Gathering 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness