Skip to main content

Sleeping with bread: Grace


Grace is a beautiful gift, if only we allow ourselves the space and time to receive it.

Too often grace is one of those gifts that we'd prefer not to use. It can be easier to plug away at life with our own abilities and plans as the center and think grace is something to be used only in case of emergency.

Honestly, I think the emergency is the fact that grace is treated as a minor benefit, is ignored until a disaster occurs, or become cheap in our nonchalant treatment of it.

In the words of the famous hymn " Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see." Do these lyrics really reflect how I live out grace in my life?

Grace has been on my mind a great deal this last week or so. In fact a few weeks ago, in the midst of a weary day and lots to do, I had to ask someone to give me some grace and some space to figure out what to do next. A funny thing happened when I asked for grace, the person didn't really like it. I did not have an immediate answer for them , I did not fix the situation on the spot, and asking for understanding and grace while I worked things out only showed what a shocking an unappreciated thing grace is. Grace requires people to stop, take a step back and try to live in another persons shoes - none of which are easy things to do when caught up in the pace of busy life. None the less though, grace is an amazing and need characteristic in daily life, and in the end helps the bumps in life not be quite so jarring.

Last week, I had another moment where I needed some grace, and I failed to stop and ask for it. I allowed the emotions of the moment to go into overdrive and cut the conversation short as to avoid a conflict. As soon as I stopped talking, I knew I should have asked for some grace. A few hours later, with the problem resolved, I did. The apology was gracefully accepted and I became more thankful for that relationship. Thankfully, my good friend extended the grace to me even though I forgot to ask for it. The grace given to me in that circumstance was a beautiful gift.

This weekend, I was heading to the grocery store and my great-nephew Eli asked if he could go with me. I told him to ask his mom, but I'd be happy to take him for a ride to the store. He rushed to put on some clean clothes, and scampered downstairs to ask his mom for permission.

"Mommy, can I please, please, please got to the store with Auntie Tara? I promise I will be a good boy forever, and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever!", he exclaimed as he jumped up and down with the greatest amount of sincerity and enthusiasm that a three year old can muster. We were all laughing at his plea to go to the store, but in his desire to do something fun and even in his promise to be a good boy forever, we all knew at one point or another in the next 24 hours we'd have to extend this toddler some grace. I buckled him into the car and we headed out the the store.

We shopped for grapes, rainbow jello, gummy snacks, and fixings for Greek salad. We went to McDonald's and I bought him a happy meal on the way home. We had a blast shopping together and simply being present as he asked me what all the vegetables were in the produce section. We had a great time, even in the reminders to sit down in the cart, hold my had in the parking lot, and remember to say please and thank you when you are given something. We lived in grace that evening at the store and what a gift it was!

Thank you G-d for the grace you give me everyday. Thank you for providing so much for me. Thank you for the days when I promise to be good forever and ever and instead I pull away a try to do life on my own. You know that two minutes from now you have to remind me to stay close to you and not pull away, but you love me and give me grace anyhow. Thank you G-d for the grace of this week and the ones to come today and help me to extend that same gift of grace to those around me.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound...

Grace is a beautiful gift, if only we allow ourselves the space and time to receive and give it.

Comments

Mel said…
People say they're blessed, I'm clear I'm graced. There's a huge difference to me.

Asking for grace is a new concept for me. I'll need to spend time in thought on that....I don't know, by the definition of 'grace' that I live by, that I could ask. But I understand and know that humbling myself to ask for that 'stop' period is a good thing for me.

Now see--ya got me thinking! ;-)

grace: the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn