Skip to main content

Catch the spirit


Airbrushed Mural image by Pamela Shanteau

Several years ago, I took a group of students to Ohio for a weekend retreat event. It was a large event in a stadium-like atmosphere with lots of bands, speakers, students and very little sleep. If you've ever been on a weekend trip with a bunch of teens, these conditions are par for the course in youth work.

On trips like this, you drive a maxi van for what seems to be the entire distance of the US and back and your diet intake is in the categories of candy, pizza and caffeine. The one thing that is always unpredictable, besides the students, is the weather.

By the late afternoon on Saturday, the upcoming weather reports were calling for a storm advisory of rain to sleet and eventually to snow. On this particular trip, we'd have to drive back through areas that are infamous in snow belt country. We needed to think of a plan B.

Our group held a quick meeting and I let them know the concerns I had about the weather and was surprised to hear that majority of the group preferred to get on the road home early, leave the event prior to the final meeting, and have a chance to stop for dinner at a restaurant that offered more than pizza, Mountain Dew and skittles.

We all piled into the van and began our trip across Ohio. The rain had already started to pour by the time we go into the interstate. The windows were foggy, the kids were incredibly loud and the wind was pushing the van all over the place as I drove on the slippery road. After a few hours passed, we finally arrived at our resting stop. Our hungry bellies were rejoicing as we pulled into the parking lot. Before we went into the place, I reminded the students to be respectful of the waitstaff, order moderately so to save money for leaving a tip, but to enjoy this higher-end meal.

I had a very nice time sitting at my table of students. We had a great meal and enjoyed our conversation together. However, the male chaperone for our group did not enjoy the meal in the slightest. His table was loud and their table habits were not as refined as he would have liked. In fact, they took to making lemon-aid by asking for more lemon slices and adding sugar from the packets on their table. They upped the anti more by ordering a variety of condiments for their entrees. They snorted ketchup, mustard, mayo, pepper, salt, and any item they could dare each other to inhale. The chaperone corrected them on their behavior, and the rest of the meal continued without any further incident.

Somehow, this disaster occurred while I sat chatting away to the kids at my table. It's amazing what you can miss when you are sleep deprived. By the time we all paid our bills and made our way back to van for the last leg of the ride home, my volunteer had had it. As he was telling me how dinner had not gone well, half of the group ran over to the grassy area of the lot in a mad dash. "What could they ever be up to now!" we exclaimed.

Apparently, the experiment of mixing and snorting condiments did not do the digestion of the boys dinner any good. As one boy hurled his dinner, another started to gag and hurl theirs. One by one each kid that came over to witness the mass expulsion, either turned their back a walked away or vomited on the spot at what they saw. So much for going for a nice dinner.

Eventually, I got all the kids back into the van, passed out peppermint gum and told them to rest quietly for the next hour drive home. Before we left town, we stopped for gas and I pick myself up a Ginger Ale to calm my own rolling tummy after witnessing and continuing to smell the results of the eruptive events.

My volunteer smiled as we pumped the gas in the van and his car that we used for all the luggage and supplies from the weekend. I asked him how he could be smiling after the recent events and he said, "Well, we hoped that the kids would catch the spirit this weekend at the retreat. Now we know for sure that they can repeat or catch what they see and experience." He paused for a moment then said, "Well that, and the fact that I don't have to smell them the rest of the way home because I'm driving my car."

Lessons learned on Ohio trip #127: Don't snort condiments. Always carry gum. Ginger ale has the magical ability of carrying you through even the stinkiest of van rides. Always have your volunteers ride in the van with you. Catching the spirit isn't fun unless everyone is along for the ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn