Skip to main content

SWB: What am I looking for?


Image found at Flicker.


Sometimes I get weary from searching for an idea or shimmer of an idea. Its as if I've almost got my finger on a fraction of brilliance, look directly where I perceive it's coming from and POOF - it vanishes before it can be captured.

Much of this week, I've been thinking on life; the things I treasure and the things I don't care to think about. Looking as I am, it's a place where balance is needed in order to be fair and sure footed in the paths I travel each day.

Balance.

I like new projects and making plans. I love the excitement of seeing it all come together, but as things begin to come together - I begin to loose a little stream and wish for the beginning stages of things again.

There is a BIG project in the home run for me this week. Last weeks planning seems to be helping things come together well - but I'm worrying a bit. I want this to come out well - to be good, to be enriching, to be worthwhile to all that participate.
Some things can be controlled, and others...you know the drill.

Balance.

Life is always shifting and changing - and somehow staying constant too. One thing may stay constant for me, while your life may be a whirlwind of excitement... or vice-verse. Its all in your perspective.

Balance.

I was thinking of the statement from Ecclesiastes earlier today - "There is nothing new under the sun." The sun has the benefit (if it could literally see), of looking over the whole earth and seeing everything and everyone. Therefore, there is nothing new under or before the sun's perspective.

People however, do not have this point of view. People are limited to their own geographic space and time and can only see what the sun illuminates directly around them.

What have I seen around me this week?
Challenge,
hope,
balance,
perseverance,
persistence,
balance,
sadness,
surprise,
balance,
focus,
encouragement,
balance.

For my perspective last week and the week to come. I will breathe. I will persevere, I will work to maintain my balance.


Ecclesiastes 1:9-14 (New International Version)

9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

11 There is no remembrance of men of old,
and even those who are yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow.
Wisdom Is Meaningless
12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Comments

Mel said…
Balance....
Yaknow, I make it my mission to do whatever's placed in front of me to the best I'm able to do at that given moment in time. Balance, I leave up to G-d. I surrendered that quest some time ago. Mostly because I don't know what moderation is.....and He does a much better job of balancing out what I need than I ever have.....

Blessings to you and yours.
Tara Lamont said…
Mel,
Thanks for the reminder that G-d is helping in the area of balance. I sometimes forget that he's always got my back - always. :)
Unknown said…
I love those words from Ecclesiastes.

Balance. It isn't easy to maintain. We have to be vigilant but it is much better for us-and those around us--when we do!

--------------

Hah! My word verification is chili!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness