Skip to main content

Quarters from grandpap


Piccaso "The Dance"

PSALM 27
Triumphant Song of Confidence of David
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
One thing that I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after:
to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!


When I was a little girl, I remember Thanksgiving as being one of my favorite holidays. It was especially fun if we headed to the Pittsburgh area to visit my Grandparents. Although my grandparents lived in a rather quiet suburb of the city, it was much more exciting than the rural environment I was accustomed to. For a few days, we’d spend time with our grandparents, eat meals together, talk about what we wanted for Christmas, and flip through the various family albums my Grandma had collected and filled full of photos of all her children, grand children and some great-grand children. There was a feeling of belonging that I will never forget about my Grandparent’s house. It wasn’t fancy or big. There were very few toys to play with. But somehow, in the smell of the food my Grandmother cooked, in the laughter and chatter of the whole family sharing together; I knew that this was a place that I was loved and belonged to something bigger than myself.

The hardest thing about going to my Grandparent’s home for the holiday was piling back into our family sedan and heading home at the end of the weekend. Being at my grandparent’s home was something that I never wanted to end. To help me get into the car, my Grandfather would hand me some shiny quarters and say, “Hold on to these till I see you next time.” I’d hug him so tightly, but eventually I would slump into the back seat between my brother and sister and I’d try to nap to hide the tears in my eyes as we pulled out of their drive way and begin the drive back home.

“One thing that I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.”

There are times in life so rich with meaning and emotion that we never want them to end. Sadly each day is filled with not just beginnings, but endings as well. Years later, after the passing of my Grandfather, I remember the moment when the funeral director called the family forward to say their final farewells to him. I approached the coffin, recalling all the good memories of Thanksgivings past with my Grandpap. He gave me many quarters throughout our relationship, but beyond the quarters he gave me his love, his laughter, his songs and his assurance that I belonged somewhere. As I stood there in the flood of memories, I remembered what it was like to have to leave him at the end of our visits. Only this time, his spirit had departed ahead of me.

I took out a quarter from my pocket and laid it the palm of his hand. “Grandpap, thank you for giving me all those quarters to hold on to, here is one you can hold till the next time we’re together.” In that moment, I better understood the feeling of belonging and the desire I had to never leave my grandparent’s house. Part of the feeling of belonging I’d experienced was connected to the faith we held in common. It was possible for me to walk away from his funeral that day knowing that we would always have a home in heaven together. Someday, I believe we’ll be together again.

I often wish I could live as if the quarters never run out, the sun never sets, and that the family holiday never ends; but the truth is that the coins do get spent, the sun sets and sooner or later you have to get back in the car and head back home from the holiday. Life has moments of both sadness and beauty, but God, weather we realize it or not, is always present with us. God doesn’t’ need to give me any quarters - because he’s always with me as I dance, in sorrow and joy, on the road of life.

Comments

Mel said…
((((((((((( you ))))))))))))

Beautifully shared.
What a graced granddad. And how lucky you were to have him in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness