Skip to main content

Time for daylight savings?


Image from the Kenyon Review.


Ever since the daylight savings time switch last Sunday, I've been feeling a little off kilter. While I'm thankful that my morning run is no longer completely in the dark, its weird to have it be totally dark by six in the evening. I know that eventually I will adjust to the shift in light's arrival and departure, but for now it seems off to me.

To be honest, I think I'm just be longing for to long, warm, sunny days of summer; with it's bird song mornings and late balmy sunsets. Somehow, time is marching on to the destination of the winter season - no matter what I prefer the season to be.

In the start of the arrival of the winter season, how do you balance out the changes in the shorter days. Do you embrace the longer night for times of rest and rejuvenation, or do you wish for the long windows-open-while-you-sleep-and-the crickets-sing-summer? Somehow, I think I'm more of a summer kind of person.

Even so, there is a time for all things, according to the book of Ecclesiastes. Maybe even changes in the length of our days could be counted here:

Ecclesiastes 3
There Is a Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything.
There's a time for everything that is done on earth.
2 There is a time to be born.
And there's a time to die.
There is a time to plant.
And there's a time to pull up what is planted.
3 There is a time to kill.
And there's a time to heal.
There is a time to tear down.
And there's a time to build up.
4 There is a time to cry.
And there's a time to laugh.
There is a time to be sad.
And there's a time to dance.
5 There is a time to scatter stones.
And there's a time to gather them.
There is a time to hug.
And there's a time not to hug.
6 There is a time to search.
And there's a time to stop searching.
There is a time to keep.
And there's a time to throw away.
7 There is a time to tear.
And there's a time to mend.
There is a time to be silent.
And there's a time to speak.
8 There is a time to love.
And there's a time to hate.
There is a time for war.
And there's a time for peace.

9 What does the worker get for his hard work? 10 I've seen the heavy load God has put on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also given men a sense of what he's been doing down through the ages. But they can't completely figure out what he's done from the beginning to the end.

12 They should be happy and do good while they live. I know there's nothing better for them to do than that. 13 Everyone should eat and drink. People should be satisfied with all of their hard work. That is God's gift to them.


What is G-d's gift to you in this time of shortening days? I especially like vs, 11...they can't completely figure out what he's done from the beginning to the end.

Even when we don't have things figured out, we still have the gifts of the season to be thankful for and recognize. This week, what are the challenges or shifts you've had to compensate for - what are the gifts you've received as well?

There is a time for all things and now is the time for Sleeping with Bread. Would you like to share some of your bread? Please do, it's Monday and we're getting peckish for some comfort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: For the next month or so, Mary Lue, our regular SWB host will be taking a break as she wraps up her Masters studies. Please stop by and leave Mel a cheer of encouragement as she works hard on this goal. In the meantime, I will be standing as host, and I hope the thoughts I offer as SWB springboards are helpful and effective. Let me know too if you have any particular topics or leanings you'd be interested in discussing in the month to come.

Although the examen Sleeping with Bread is a Christian practice, I would hope that anyone who has something to share would feel welcome here. Also, if you don't have your own blog and would like to participate, share your bread in the comments. To holding on to what gives life,
Peace,

Lamont

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness