Skip to main content

VOCATION is a 50 cent word


Image for The Byzantine.


I've loved words for a very long time. When I was little, my Dad would comment on my use of a big long word by saying, "Well Tara, that is a 50 cent word!" It seemed to me then, and sometimes even now that words have untold hidden value, if we take the time to get to know them better. When I was in first grade, I got the book "Greensleeves" out of the Bookmobile because it was the BIGGEST book they had in the four wheel mobile library. I remember reading the book, but not quite getting the full meaning of the words. I wanted to know the whole story and the meaning of the words of that big book, but at that point in my childhood, the fullness of it escaped me. It's one thing to be able to quote 50 cent words, it's quite another to truly understand what they mean.

Sometimes a word will stand out to me and I will find myself looking it up to find out how it came to be. Recently the word vocation has been speaking to me. Yes, I know it's general meaning (ie. what you do for a living or occupation). But I was struck by the importance of it's original roots.

A vocation, Latin for "calling", is a term for an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which they are suited, trained or qualified. Though now often used in secular contexts, the meanings of the term originated in Christianity.


How over time did the term VOCATION, become more about the job than the calling of each unique person? If people were to consider their "calling" more in what they do than doing what they do to make a living, would they choose a different occupation then they currently hold? I think that answer is, Yes!

Some folks have the ability to know their calling from an early age. Like my friend who always knew they would be a school teacher and they are. Or my friend who left sales, went back to school and will soon go into the medical field because they desire to go into medical missions. These folks are very sure of their calling or vocation.

For some road to vocation is not so clear or precise. Sometimes it has more to do with taking care of business than considering the options in the greater picture of vocational purpose. For some, having the opportunity to consider vocational options (especially in the current economy) is a luxury that has not been afforded to them due to practical financial needs.

At this point in my own life, I desire to gain a better picture of calling in regard to my vocation. I've been working since I turned 18 and held many different jobs in the last twenty years. Yes twenty! In some cases, I've felt that my occupation did affirm and confirm me in my calling. I'm thankful for those 'vocations' that have and are afforded to me. I know I have a desire to continue to learn, grow and become all that my calling is ordained to be. My journey to vocation has not been as clear cut as the friends I've mentioned, but it is my journey, not theirs.

So, what do I want to be when I grow up? I want to be the person G-d has called, ordained, me to be; and I want to be obedient in living that vocation out. My vocation's description and application may be abstract at times, and I can often desire a concise vocational box to place myself into. Even in times of questioning, I know that G-d has been faithful to show the way in the past and will continue to show me into the fullness of my life's vocation. My vocation is my calling and I desire to go deeper into the roots of what that means.

G-d, help me to never stop learning and growing in your calling in my life. Give me roots to grow deep and a life to reach beyond the dreams of my own mind and into your way. When I'm uneasy or feeling unsure help me to remember Jeremiah 29:11.

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Vocation is more than the work and job that a person holds. Vocation, to me is about lining up G-d's plan with who I am and what I do. This is the vocation, G-d's vocation, is the treasure I truly desire.

Prayer for Vocations
O Lord our God, older than all creation, you have
made us in your image and likeness.
You have given us the gift of the Holy Spirit through
your servants who proclaim the good news of your
Church all that is necessary for our sanctification.
We humbly beg you, do not leave your people deprived
of spiritual gifts, but grant us an abundance of
vocations to your holy priesthood, the diaconate and
consecrated life, and to lives dedicated to your service.
Open the hearts of men and women to hear your words,
"Come, follow me!"
Indeed, do not leave us orphans, but be with us through
your Holy Spirit, who is present everywhere and
fills all things, and who raises up mere mortals
to divine service by the mystery of his grace.
Truly you will never forget your promise to be
with us always, until the end of the world,
but forgive us if we have, in our weakness,
failed to follow you as we should.
For you alone are holy now and ever and forever.
Amen.

Comments

Mel said…
I now know what to call what it is that I do.
I've always felt 'off' saying it's my 'job' or 'career'.....cuz mostly, it's not either. Although some days--it is work. LOL

I like that 50 cent word. I might haffta borrow it, tyvm!
Tara Lamont said…
I knew you'd like 50 Cent words Mel! As always, thank you for your thoughtful reading and comments.
Dianne said…
What a great post! The whole idea of vocation is a beautiful mystery to me. Terry has been teaching on StrengthFinders this fall and that has been eye-opening to me.

If vocation is a calling, isn't our response hearing (and obeying)? So what is the key - maybe discerning God's voice in all we do? (and like you, some of my "jobs" have affirmed who I am, some have not but I do believe God is always guiding and directing).

Great post - much to think about here!
Tara Lamont said…
Dianne,
This "vocation" thing is still a mystery for me as well. Thankfully, the one who authors this mystery is with me always.

So glad you liked this post.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness