Skip to main content

The statistics of change


Statistics can be a useful tool in assessing pretty much anything. You can take a quiz for pretty much any questions you have. You can find out what personality type you are via various personality assessment platforms, you can see how energy efficient your home is by having a wind test done, you can even track how many people read your blog. I enjoy simple trivia quizzes just much as the next person, but there are some things that statistics can’t show.

Early in the first weeks of 2010, I was comparing my blog readership from 2009 to 2010 by tracking the readership with Google Analytics. As I looked at the pie charts and grids and finally looked to the visit count for each month, I could feel a wave of disappointment rise from my stomach. 2009 had started out well, but about half-way through the year the readership looked to have dropped by half. This development was disappointing to me. Reading the decline in the statistical results of my blog, I began to doubt my writing ability. It was difficult for me to fathom why there had been such a dramatic drop off in the readership.
Was I posting often enough? Were the topics interesting? Was I wasting my time?


As I tried to go about my day, I could not seem to shake the statistical disappointment. I sat down to lunch at a local book group I attend with a friend, and she exclaimed, "Oh, I just read that post of yours from Saturday and I thought it was great!" "Really?", I replied looking confused. Her words of encouragement could not have come at a better time.

She noticed my expression and asked why I was surprised that she liked it. So as quickly as I could, I informed her of the drop in my blog readership. Immediately, she said - "Well I'm not sure how to comment on your blog, so I just read it on Facebook."

"Eureka!" That's why there looks to be a drop!" I exclaimed. About halfway through the year, I had started connecting my blog publications to be posted via an RSS feed directly to Facebook. Even though I had been tracking the readers to the official blog, the ones that were reading through Facebook were not being tracked or entered into the statistics. Apparently, I had not taken into consideration how change can effect the overall statistical review.

It's important that you have all the correct information, before you literally or figuratively throw in the towel of your project, your hopes or your dreams. The spiritual life, like my misinterpreted statistics, can be a place where misguidance can lead to discouragement and discouragement can lead to throwing in the towel. Relying on statistics alone can be frustrating and misleading. If we look a little deeper and allow our heart, soul and mind to be saturated by God's word and direction - staying on track and holding a clear picture of direction and purpose could and would be provided.

One of my new favorite authors, Margaret Feinberg shares in her newest book, "Scouting the divine", about the importance of being grounded in scripture.



"While some may dismiss the Bible as a dusty old book, I view its pages as portals of adventure. Not only is the book chock-full of clever plots and compelling stories, but its laced with historical insights and literary beauty. When I open the Scripture, I imagine myself exploring an ancient kingdom. As I cross the narrow drawbridge into this distant land, I picture a castle with too many banquet halls and bedrooms to count - and enough secret corridors, underground passages and trapdoors to occupy the most inquisitive visitors for a lifetime.

At every turn I meet kings and queens, scribes and poets, all sharing their stories of courage and faith. With every encounter, I learn something new about their life journeys and am reminded that the Bible is more than a record of the human quest for God; it's the revelation of God's quest for us."(pg. 9-10 Scouting the divine)


There are many ways for people to asses their abilities in this world and while it is important to pay attention to work ethic and do our best to do our best; it is good to know that there is a much bigger story being written than the ones we try to write all by ourselves.

God wrote amazing stories in and through the lives of the people we find in the pages of scripture. Truth be told, God is still writing and moving in our lives if we are willing to give him the room to do so. We may have to clear some space for God to work and move from an attitude of thinking we know the whole story to a place of willingness to learn something in a new way. Statistics may give us pie charts and percentages, but sometimes we miss colorful details in a great adventure because we can become too focused on the numbers. In light of my recent experience with statistics, I think in my writing and spiritual life I will be paying more attention to the story and adventure that is developing right in front of me.

In life, there will always be shifting, changing and adapting; but knowing that God's love and word are steadfast helps to give strength for all of us to carry on. Sometimes we need to stop staring at the statistics and run into God's quest. He’s the constant that is ready and willing to carry us into and through the whole story He's writing.

Isaiah 40:8 (New International Version)
"8 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God stands forever."

Comments

Mel said…
..God is still writing and moving in our lives if we are willing to give him the room to do so.

And even when I'm not so willing. My G-d's a bit determined that way.

I'm not big on statistics, given that my experience has shown me how easy it is to manipulate them to say what you want them to say.

<-- is a good manipulator. LOL
Anonymous said…
I email my blog to family and friends; I have followers; I post my blog to yahoo groups in which I am a member; and my Facebook statuses announce whenever I have uploaded a new blog post. With all that potential readership, I receive few comments on my blog posts. It lifts my spirit and sometimes provides the motivation to keep writing whenever someone tells me that they have read my blog. The telling might be from an unexpected email. Someone may mention a particular blog post while talking with me on the telephone. I sometimes receive comments on Facebook about particular blogs that I have posted. I see people whom I know frequently while shopping. At least one person will tell me that they have read my blogs. These affirmations that someone is reading my blog and liking what they read happens, it seems, when I most need to hear it.

With regard to your blog posts, I read them all. Keep on writing; I would miss your blog posts if you didn't write them!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness