Skip to main content

SWB: Anger and Passion

Image and Serenity Prayer found here.

Mary Lue, creator of Sleeping with Bread Mondays made reference to a wonderful author this morning in her host post on the topic of surrender. I have this picture in my mind of what I imagine Frank Lambuach looking like while shaving and prayerfully asking G-d, 'What, Father, do you desire said? What, Father, do you desire done this minute?'

Surrender is something I'm not always very good at. I tend to be independent, willful, and some may even say stubborn. From a young age, I'd tell my parents, "No, I'd rather do it myself." That statement wraps it all up quite nicely. In fact, I think I may have mentioned my independent streak here a time or two before.

While there are times that being independent is a useful tool that I have been thankful to have throughout my life, there are times that it is a stumbling block. When you begin to believe that you can do life in its entirety on your own, you are due for some feelings of isolation, disappointment and sometimes disillusionment.

What happens, per say, if I come against a challenge that I CAN'T accomplish or overcome on my own? What happens then?

From personal experience I can tell you that anger, frustration, tears are coming down the pike when I am in a circumstance that I can't easily repair solo. It's as if things just don't compute when a failure occurs. Maybe it's even off to say failure, because if there is something you've never learned, how can it be a failure if you just don't know how to do it. I suppose the correct term would be ignorance. Either way, failure or ignorance are not the places that I like to reside. Heck, I don't even want to visit that part of the neighborhood.

In the last few weeks, I've had a lot on my plate. Most of the plate I'd managed to take care of with moderate success. But then, there was a bill or two I forgot to pay, cleaning that I never got to during the holidays, cookies that were not made, and on Saturday a flat tire I could not and did not have the experience to change. This flat tire was the one straw too many for this tired-out camel. MY SWB post this week is on the longish side. Sorry if it takes a bit to read, but this story just had a mind of it's own in its transition from life to the blogverse.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3, 5-6


____________________________________________________

It was an especially cold day with below zero wind chill, feet of snow that I'd been shoveling for an hour and all I wanted to do was move our cars that were parked on the street so the plow could go through and to go inside for a nice cup of hot tea.

Car #1 is a champ in the snow and got out of the drift without delay. Car #2 however, was not moving so fast. No matter how carefully I tried to pull away from the drifts of snow, the car did not want to go forward. I floored it, pulled onto the main road and found I could not make the hill. So I put the car in reverse, backed down the hill and somehow managed to get the car across the intersection and park it on the opposite side of the street. I got out to inspect the car to find the right passenger tire totally flat. It could have been the cold, it could have been the wear and tear, but it was not going anywhere.

It was time for me to ask for some help.


I did not have the courage to ask the neighbors surrounding me for help with the flat, heavens they may think I was a damsel in distress - right? So I called AAA instead. The woman on the phone was all about the details and nothing more. Where is the car? What is your account number? What is the condition of the spare?

"What is the condition of the spare?!!?
" I asked, embarrassed because I did not know. "Yes. Before I send out help I need to know the condition of the spare so I know what the wrecker crew has to work with." she said flatly. Annoyed with her impatience, I told her I would go check the "condition" of the spare and call back. She sarcastically said, "That would be a good idea, because until I know the condition of the spare I can't proceed with the call." Click. She hung up.

Man was I angry. Could she not just send a wrecker and have them asses what needed to happen when the got here? Was not AAA staff SUPPOSED to be caring, helpful, patient, and used to working with stressed out people?

I looked in the back of the Toyota to find a "Brand-New" do-nut and all the tools for a tire switch. I thought about trying to change it on my own, but I was so cold by then, I surrendered that idea and went inside to call back. When I got back on the phone, I was hoping to get the less-than-gracious staff person and tell here what she could do with the brand new do-nut in the hatch of my car. Thankfully, it was not the impatient person that picked up, it was a kind woman who saved me the embarrassment of my own anger and frustration.

She asked if I had a warm place to wait for the AAA help. She asked why I had to call back, and I told her. She was compassionate, helpful and did not cut me off when telling her about this problem I could not fix on my own. She got the job done, and within an hour the guy drove up and had my tire switched in less than five minutes.
I needed help, I got some help (with a little hassle) and I got my car to the tire shop safely and in time to buy four new all-weather tires. Problem solved right?
____________________________________________________


Image from Coverbrowser.com

On Sunday morning we had more snow than the day before, however I did not get stuck this time. The new tires seemed to be helping. I shoveled, warmed the cars, changed my clothes for church, picked up some teens and got to the church without too much trouble.

My daughter was telling her friend about my situation the day before, and about my foul mood. Later Saturday afternoon I had to take her to a babysitting job across town and found her coming to the car without adequate winter attire. I had scolded her for not having gloves and a warm coat and tossed mine to her with a not-so-friendly reminder about frost bite and how quick you can get in weather like this.

Thankfully, we were all laughing at the story by Sunday morning. But deep down, I was bothered by the fact that anger had won out in my frustrations on Saturday. Anger somehow was seemingly trying to take over my attitude, and that was not something I liked seeing and knowing.

It was my turn to be liturgist for worship. I got to wear a white robe, sing the Kyrie, and assist with communion. In light of my anger on Saturday, I did not particularly feels I should be helping in worship this way. I had messed up. Shouldn't a better tempered, more graceful person be the one to do this job? How ironic that the meaning of the sung Kyrie is, "Lord, have mercy". I was one seriously in need of some mercy, that is for sure.

For a moment during the prayers, I caught my own reflection in the shine of the communion cup. My face looked peaceful, my robe was bright, and I looked like the right person for the job in that moment. This image was not the one I'd been seeing in my own minds eye. Seeing my own face, now joyful, peering back at me was a total surprise.

Isn't that the truth though? Because of God, because of Jesus, because of the bread and wine of communion, we all are made right with God and for whatever job he asks of us each day. Just like Frank Lambuach asking God, 'What, Father, do you desire said? What, Father, do you desire done this minute?' - I too in that moment could ask the same. I could surrender doing this on my own, because to be honest, this was something only God can do.

"Here the body of Christ broken for you, Tara.
Here the blood of Christ shed for you, Tara."




I may be frustrated at times when life or anger get the best of me, because in that moment I don't feel like a very good ambassador for God. This is a place I don't want to be, because my heart's passion is to be and live sincerely in my faith in Jesus.

Then again, the Christian faith is not something I can do on my own or by myself. It is to be Christ in me - working, changing and helping me more and more. I don't have to do this all by myself. I can't. I need more of Jesus to do any of it at all.

Uncle. I surrender.

There are are too many flat tires in this world for me. I think the serenity prayer is one that I'll be saying more of in that days to come. Communion this week was my bread. May God's peace be with to you all on this snowy, blowy Monday until we share bread together once again.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

____________________________________________________

Comments

Unknown said…
Proverbs 3:5-6 are my theme verses for life. I think that I will never stop needing to be reminded that I need to lean NOT on MY own understanding.

Thanks for sharing, Tara!
Tara Lamont said…
I always need this verse too Mary Lue. :)
Anonymous said…
I don't think I knew there was a second verse to the Serenity Prayer. That "surrendering" part to His will is the tough part, I've found.
Anonymous said…
This was a good post, Tara. It held my interest from start to finish; it didn't seem long at all. I saw a bumper sticker a long time ago that has always stuck with me. The bumper sticker read "Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven.” Don't be too hard on yourself, Tara. This life is hard; you're bound to be tested. You can look on the "not so perfect" actions as a method of growing in the Lord. You learn about yourself in each test.

I, too, didn't realize there was a second verse to the serenity prayer.
Tara Lamont said…
Thank you Linda for letting me know how the pacing for this note was for you - I was a little concerned about the length when posting.

I will try not to be too hard on myself, but the popping up of anger is something that is unusual for me, I think that is why it bothered me so.

Isn't it great to find something new to a familiar prayer. This was new and quite appropriate for me as well.
Mel said…
I've always been fond of the 'long version' of the prayer--you'll find it in the most uncanny places here. I, like you, am a bit (LOL) self sufficient, self reliant, self confident--self, self, self.

It's that surrender that'll get me every time.

WPIML tells me "Surrender or surrender". One way or another, it'll happen...by choice before the painful truths start making their marks, or before--but he's right, it'll happen.

I do have an awesome G-d. And He does have a way of doing things which leave me humbled and grateful......not humiliated and livid. That, in and of itself--is monumental progress.

*hugs*
Not 'long' at all.....perfect, if you're asking!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness