Skip to main content

Holy Conversations: the sticky wicket of sin...what is it anyway?


The following segment is taken from Chapter 6: Talking about sin in the book Holy Conversations. For the last six weeks, myself and a group of folks have been meeting and sharing our thoughts and the process of telling our faith stories both online at Facebook and in person with a small group that meets at First Lutheran Church on a weekly basis. Would you like to become a part of this conversation? Our question this week has to do with the topic of sin. Take a minute and read the following section and feel free to post your responses below or at our Holy Conversations group online here. Thank you for your honesty and mutual respect as you take part in the ongoing conversation of faith, life and the challenge to understand and talk about it.

Peace,
Tara

"You are dirty rotten sinners, the whole lot of you!"
We can picture the scene in our minds. A tall gaunt, dark-clad minister is pointing his bony finger at a group of people who are cringing at this words. They aren't bad people. They just don't match up to the impossibly strict standards of the preacher.

A bleak scene? Yes. An accurate rendering of clergy past or present? Not at all. But nevertheless this image is present in our culture: the harsh judgmental, religious fanatic who wants to suck the joy out of life.

Unfortunately this colors the way many people think about the whole concept of sin. And many people think sin is doing what fanatics think you should not do. In other words, sin is merely a matter of definition. "Who is he/she to tell me what I should or should not do?"

When we do think about sin (which is not often) we take it to be something really gross. It is doing evil things like beating up somebody, cheating on your spouse, robbing a bank or consciously lying about something really important - stuff most of us would never do. So sin is not a word we ever apply to ourselves.

Consequently, if Christian conversationalists use the word sin in our conversation, we invoke all the wrong images. However, the biblical view of sin is much broader and much more comprehensive than either gross evil or breaking unreasonable regulations. So it's really important that when we talk about sin we do so in a ways that help others understand what the Bible teaches about sin and how culture has come to define sin...

So, when you think about the work SIN, what comes to mind? Which "sins" are the most challenging for you ( anger, lust, pride, and so on), and how does Jesus help you with this problem?

(From pages 65-66 of the book Holy Conversations by Richard Peace)

Comments

Mel said…
Pride. Darn pride gets me every time. *sigh*

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn