Skip to main content

Be here now: living in the present

Image found at Design is Mine blog.

Living in the present can be a challenge in our busy task-based worlds. Think what it's like when you have an unexpected day off. Suddenly you have time to be in the moment, instead of thinking of what is next on the agenda.

This following excerpts from the book, The Seven Spiritual Gifts of Waiting; speaks to the gift of living in the present.

"Matthew 6:34 says, " So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today."

"We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies. We make mental provisions for the days to come, and everything turns out differently. Sufficient unto the day. The things that have to be done must be done, and for the rest we must now allow ourselves to become infested with thousands of petty fears and worries, so many motions of no confidence in God... ultimately we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and reflect it towards others..."

I once heard that three consistent characteristics of Christian disciples are being:
Authentic, Affirming and Available.

It's interesting that all three of these characteristics best happen when the individual lives in the present. We are challenged to simply "Be here now." There are some spaces, the sad - the hurting - the weary - and the unknown, that we'd never really want to be in our "nows"; but no matter if we want them - they are times that we often live.

Author, Eckhart Tolle, says this on being a habitual waiter...
"Are you a habitual waiter? How much of your life do spend waiting? What I call "small-scale waiting" is waiting in line at the post office, in a traffic jam, at the airport, or waiting to someone to arrive, to finish work, and so on. "Large-scale waiting" is waiting for the next vacation, for a better job, for the children to grow up, for a truly meaningful relationship, for success, to make money, to be important, to become enlightened. It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living."


Are you a waiter or are you living in the present and each moment of the day? When you think back on the phrase, "Be here now" what insight or impression does this offer to your current circumstances?

"Living in the present invites us to relinquish worry, allows us to say "it is enough", and teaches us to be faithful in the small things."

"This week, when you know you will have a time of waiting, take that as an opportunity to "be here now" while you wait.

How does this exercise effect you and those around you."

How does active waiting effect your relationship with God?


To find a copy of this book, click here.

-Reflect on these questions and post your reply in the box below. I will respond to each post here. If you would like to see other discussion starters for the book "Seven Spiritual Gifts of Waiting", you can find them on the Facebook Group: Holy Conversations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness