Skip to main content

SWB: Puppies and prayer shawls


Image a following quote from 'Baby animals' blog.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sugar (pictured above) is a white boxer puppy. She is deaf and to complicate matters she was left at the door of animal control facility with a broken leg. Fortunately, a vet was in the parking lot in a mobile van used to spay and neuter and took Sugar into his care. If she had crossed the door at animal control, her fate would have been to be put to sleep immediately because of her injury. Sugar made her way to Atlanta Pet Rescue where her injuries were treated, as you can see her cast. Sugar has healed completely and has been adopted since this image was taken.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning as I was leaving a local elementary school, I was greeted by a gangly white with a few black spots boxer puppy. He was very friendly and proceeded to follow me as I walked through the parking lot. He looked very thin, in need and had some abrasions around his feet, ears and mouth. I looked at this shivering puppy at my feet and decided that the least I could do was get him out of the cold and contact the Humane Society. I took a prayer shawl I had in the trunk of my car and wrapped him up in it as he leaned into my arms and chest. Just as I was about to place him all bundled into the passenger seat of my car; I heard someone shout,"PUPPY!".

I stopped short, and shouted back - "Did you loose your dog?" A woman and her child came walking towards me. They had a piece of rope for a leash and said, "Yes, it's our dog." I told the woman I was about the call the Humane Society, because the dog was in rough shape and looked like he needed some care. Se said, " Well, I just got him last night and his litter mates had beat him up."

It seemed to be a weird explanation and I definitely do not think it was the whole story, but what was I going to do? So, I reluctantly unbundled the puppy and handed him back to his owner. He looked at me with his big eyes as if to say, "What on earth do you think you are doing!"

But, as I got into my car, he did go willingly with the woman and her little girl. He didn't look back after she placed the rope collar around his neck. However, I could not stop looking in my rear-view mirror wondering what his life would be like and thinking that I should have left my prayer shawl with him. It was such a cold morning.

People can be a lot like the thin puppy I saw at the school. Sometimes the needs that people have are not as obvious as that dogs were; but in our souls we can be hungry, our litter-mates can do some damage, and our packs can be dodgy.

I wonder if God ever feels about his children as I did driving away this morning: "How far do they have to walk before they can get inside somewhere warm?", " Is someone going to make sure he's ok?", "Is he happy there?", and " "I wish I was more involved his life."

As my story shows, the heart of a person can become attached to a dog very quickly. How much more, then, does G-d love each one of us? I often think G-d gives us contact with children and animals to help remind us of how precious all his creations are.

How have you experienced the chill of life?
How have you been wrapped in warmth, prayer and found by God?


May you always have a prayer shawl ready and may you never hesitate to give it away...

What has been G-d's bread for you today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness