Skip to main content

Except I be moved with compassion

There is a song I learned several years ago, when I used to serve with the Salvation Army that was called, "Except I be moved with compassion." The chorus of the song went like this, "Except I am moved with compassion, how dwelleth thy Spirit in me? In word and in deed burning love is my need; I know I can find this in thee."

This song was sung as a call to give our lives for the benefit and blessing of others in this world. Compassion can help us to choose to serve God with our gifts and abilities. Compassion is an active thing. It is something that can be done as we stop to listen, take time to hear and take action to serve others. Compassion is also something that we really have to receive to truly understand and replicate in the lives of others. Webster's definition of "Compassion" as : sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it . As I think back to the many times I have experienced compassion, I'm always amazed at it's and the giver's ability to lighten the burden that may be weighing in my life. This week in our Shared Lutheran Book Group our topic is, "Compassion." According to the book, The Seven Spiritual gifts of waiting, Compassion has a great deal to teach us.

"Compassion teaches us to receive, allows us to be seen for who we really are, helps us gather strength from others, offers us hope. (pgs 50,52,53,55 and 57 of TSSGOW)"
Psalm 139 shares more about God's compassion for humanity...
" Where can I go then from your Spirit?
where can I flea from your presence?
If I climb up to heave, you are there;
if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me
and your right hand hold me fast."

" When we enter a critical waiting period - whether it's waiting for life-changing news, such as a word about a new job, or a potentially life-threatening report, such as a medical test result - we enter a new territory. While it may initially appear as a dry desert, it can be as surprising as a desert coming into spring bloom, with subtle gifts and vibrant signs of life. As we walk the path of waiting, compassion sprouts around us, filled with possibilities of hope. Hope changes the landscape from barren to blossoming. Hope gives us something to hold on to. Hope preserves the future. Waiting teaches us the value of hope. ( Pg. 59 TSSGOW)"

Ponder these questions on compassion:

How would you define the word "Compassion"?
How have you received compassion from someone else?
How have you been able to be gracefully compassionate to others?
When has hope been a gift in your life and how might you offer that gift of hope to someone this week?

Compassion moves us into a space of hope - allow compassion to move your heart to the space God is calling and know that God is always with you there.

To find a copy of this book, click here.

This book group meets at Immanuel Lutheran Church Wednesdays at noon and Thursdays at 6:30pm. If you would like to get and idea of what we are discussing or would like to participate in the online discussion for the book "Seven Spiritual Gifts of Waiting", you can find them on the Facebook Group: Holy Conversations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness