Skip to main content

Beloved Underdog



There are a few fates worse than death when you are in middle school:

tripping up the stairs with your arms full of books because you were staring at that person you have a crush on...
having a teacher, parent or other adult call you honey or sweetheart in front of your classmates...
and the worst...
being the last person (or next to last) picked on a sport team in gym class.


No one want to be the last one chosen, no one wants to be unpopular, no one wants to be the underdog. The underdog is the one who always struggles, fights and often isn't the winner at the end of the kickball game. But to be honest, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the underdog.

When I was a child, I used to watch a cartoon that helped me learn to love the underdog. The cartoon was, big surprise here, "Underdog!". It was fascinating to see how a poorly equipped, not particularly strong super hero, managed to win. Underdog the Dog would never fail to give it his all and rush into the fight saying, "Never fear, Underdog is here!" There is something admirable about a person that goes for it, on the behalf of others; epically when most people doubt their ability to help. Underdogs are brave and wholehearted about the cause they are working for and I have to say I'm one who respects that.

Jesus, I think, respected and rooted for the underdogs of life too. As you look at the gospels, Jesus defends children - women - and people that the world simply did not have time for. Jesus example of caring for the oppressed, misunderstood, and in need challenges people to realign perspective on who we need to be rooting for.
In the book "Becoming the Beloved" by Henri Nouwen, he states that each person is a unique creation of God that is chosen, blessed, broken (or imperfect)and given to be a blessing and gift back to others. To be honest, I think it's fair to say that each and every one of us is an underdog in one way or the other. We all have things in life that are hard or impossible for us to accomplish. But after all our striving to be perfect, maybe embracing our "underdogness" is a better choice than trying to hide it.

We all need help in life. God knew that and provided for that need in the life and sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf.

1 Corinthians 1:26 through 31 speaks to the underdog in each one of us...
"Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”


We all are underdogs. We all trip on stairs, are embarrassed in front of our friends, and sometimes we even are chosen last for a game of kickball. If people choose us last, we can know it our hearts that it's alright because God has already chosen us. With God, we are chosen, blessed, even though we are imperfect and then given back to the world. We are on God's team; on bad days and good, when we loose or win, when we are sad and when we are joyful. God has chosen you.

May this promise of being chosen by God be enough to encourage you to run into the fray of life shouting like Underdog saying, "Never fear,(your name)is here - and God is with me!"

Yes, you are an underdog. But most of all remember ... you are a beloved underdog of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness