Skip to main content

Doodles make a difference


Doodle pattern a sample of Mary Corbet's drawing found at her blog: Needle-n-thread.
When I was a little girl, I had a terrible time sitting still for any extended period of time. In light of this my Dad used to call me "Tigger", because I bounced everywhere, all the time! One of the most difficult places for me to sit still when I was little was church. It might have been the combination of the itchy lace on the collar and hem of my dress, the shiny patent leather shoes, and the big sanctuary that seemed made to run and romp through with it's high ceilings and all, but it usually took an act of God to make me sit still.

My Dad was the person I'd usually sit next to. I suppose he might have been considered the muscle in this circumstance. Most of what I remember about sitting next to him was holding his hand, singing from off his hymnal, swinging my feet that were too short to touch the floor and doodling on visitor cards that were sitting in the back of the pew.

Dad would hand me a card, a pencil, and a hymn book to support my doodling each Sunday. I would draw over every single part of that card and fill it with drawings of patterns, people and puppies. I would draw puppies as a hint to my Dad because I wanted one! The amazing part of this doodling practice is that not only did it work positively to channel my fidgeting, but I believe it helped me to learn more of what what being said and done in church. Week in and week out, I would sit happily as long as the papers kept coming and the short pencils in the pew in front of me were sharp!

Years later, I still love to draw and even paint when I get the chance. Doodling became a means of channeling creative energy for me then in a way that still helps me today.

When I am in a meeting, the best notes I take are a mic of doodles and words. If ideas come too quickly, I can sum up the idea much better in doodle form. Remember the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words?", it's so very true for me.

You can imagine how thrilled when I saw this segment on CNN about "What we learn from doodles."

It turns out that doodling is just as helpful to me in my meetings, when I was personified as "Tigger", and to multitudes of visual thinkers as well. According to the article at CNN, some of the worlds most famous doodlers are people like, " George Washington, Thomas Edison, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Reagan and Vladimir Nabokov". (CNN Doodling article)

All this talk about doodlers make me wonder, who else benefits from the focus-aiding-idea-channeling-fun-giving art of doodling? Doodling talk also makes me wonder where my pen and sketch pad are. If you'll excuse me, I have an idea I've got to doodle before it bounces away...just like Tigger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn